BT50 review by Crate

Crate: BT50

Purchased from: Sound Control

I mainly use the amp with my Peavey Foundation 5, which has high output singlecoil pickups in. With this I can obtain a great sound for punk, rock and ska. Boosting the low mid adds an extra punchiness which is great for punk and rock, whilst boosting the highs add that funk/ska sound. With the distortion on, it is a good amp for punk, hard rock and metal players. The distortion can go from crunchy to pretty massive, all this goes together to form a very versatile amp. I don't find this amp noisy, not even on distortion, I have played it at near full volume without problems.

This amp is a good match for my punk, rock and ska styles, and I believe it would suit pretty much anyone, from metal to funk. I have been playing about three years and also own a Peavey Foundation 5, Tanglewood Warrior 3FH and a Crybaby Bass. If this amp were stolen I probably wouldn't buy it again, because, whilst it is good it doesn't really have enough power for 'large' gigs. In fact the only thing I dislike about this amp is the lack of power, and the size of the thing. I compared it mainly to the Fender Rumble series, and chose this because of the extra versatility I thought it had.

I have used this amp several times for gigs, without backup and it has never let me down. Of course if I could afford it I would have a backup, but it isn't a priority as I have had no problems yet. I have owned this amp about a year.

This amp was made fairly recently I believe, prbably in the last 3-5 years. I find this amp pretty versatile, I play punk, rock and ska through it and with a slight bit of tweaking can get a good tone for everything, I find boosting the low mid really adds punchiness to my tone. Also due to the amp having a built in distortion it would be good for metalheads too. by using the supplied footswitch you can have clean, a blend of distortion and clean or out and out dirtiness. It also has an octave channel, which tracks the note you are playing an octave down and sounds pretty cool, especially when playing on the higher frets. This is also switchable on the footswitch. I don't really use this that much though. The amp has a headphone jack and a CD input jack. I really like the 4-band EQ as the low and high mid controls add a lot of versatility. I use this amp for home practise, band practise and gigs, it is OK for small gigs, but for larger ones it could really do with more power, I kind of wish I had brought the 100W version. I believe the amp to be solid-state. It also has a built in chromatic tuner.