BX100 review by Crate

Crate: BX100

Purchased from: Guitar Center, used

Compared to some more expensive amps, this thing blows them away. I was playing a Carvin FullStack (RB1000 head, 4x10 cab, 1x18 cab) and couldn't get a good sound out of it. Too muffled, or wayyyy too punchy. With the Crate, just about any setting sounds good. I play a Fender Standard Jazz Bass, and this combo really gets the job done. Loud, clear, and a great value.

I would reccommend this amp to just about anyone. I've owned it for 3 yearsIf you need more power, step up to the 220 watt head, a 2x10 cab, and a 1x15 cab. You can dial in a number of different tones thanks to the 7 Band EQ. If you like thumping low end, you can get it. If you want some overdriven mids, you got it. If you want more volume, and don't care anything about tone, crank 'em all up, and your volume will nearly double. I loved this amp. I recently sold it to a local music store for $250, so it definitely holds it's resale value. A good buy. I sorta want mine back.

A little lacking in this area. 1 of the faders on the 7 Band EQ broke. I have to move it with a key now. The input jack was lose a year and a half after I bought it. I had that replaced over a year ago and haven't had a problem since. Tolex is not our friend. Carpet covering would be more funtional for something like this. due to it's bulkyness, it tends to hit things like walls, tables, and people as you move it from the practice area to the show and/or studio. Mine has a tear in the side, but this was there when I got it. A piece of electrical tape covers it up nicely.

This amp has everything I need. 7 band EQ (cheaply built), effects loop, speaker out, XLR direct out, sweepable mids. 100 watts to a single 15 gets me great low end response, and surprisingly good mid and high range response. It sounds good, and it works like a tank, but it's heavy. 80 lbs, I believe. I'm an average sized guy, and I struggle with this thing. Also, it's awkward when trying to carry it. Side handles may have been a good idea for carrying. That or casters.