Bassman 250/210 review by Fender

Fender: Bassman 250/210

I usually use a Fender Geddy Lee Jazz when playing through the amp. Now and then I use my Fender Standard Jazz(MIM) and Ibanez BTB400QM. All of the basses sound good through the Bassman. I play an assortment of music, country, southern rock, classic rock, alternative rock, and rock. Now and then I play the "old" country also along with some R&B and Motown. I don't gig at the present time, just playing at home and jam sessions. Believe me, this has way more power than enough for these settings. It should be suitable for small and medium gigs I would think. As stated earlier, I play a variety of music and the amp suits them all. It has a nice deep, warm sound when it is needed and can punch and cut when it is needed. I've always used 1x18's or 1x15's in the past so I didn't know what the 2x10's would be like. Well, they're good, from lows, mids, and hi's, the amp gets them all.

I play country, old country, rock, classic rock, alt rock, R&B, Motown, a variety of music. The amp does just fine with all types. Just mess with the settings for the sound you want. I used to play back in th '70s and stopped for about 25 years or so because of schooling, sports, and work. This isn't right, a guy should be able to just play the bass and forget the rest but all are not privileged or in my case good enough. I would hope nothing would happen to my Bassman but if it were stolen I believe I'd get another one. I really like the amp. There's really nothing I dislike about the amp other than the carpet(dust collector). I do put a towel over it when I'm not using it to keep the dust down. I tried a few different amps before I got this one. I tried the Ampeg BA210 but the Bassman 250/210 had more power and overall better sound which did surprise me. I tried a Line 6 Lowdown but that thing was like carrying a tank. The Crate I tried was compact but just didn't cut it(which didn't surprise me). I have always used Ampegs in the past but this Fender Bassman series seems to be a good move by Fender. I would like to be able to use an external cabinet like a 1x15 with it but you can't without disconnecting the 2x10's. Overall though, I like the amp very much.

I haven't had the amp but a few months but I've had no trouble(knock on wood). I would use it to gig without a backup but then again I don't have backup. The amp seems to be built good. I like the spring-loaded side handles for carrying it and the casters are nice on smooth surfaces. It has a metal grill to guard the speakers instead of the cloth which is a nice feature. Lots of protection with a cool look. The amp is covered with carpet which is ok but it does collect dust easily. Overall though the amp looks nice and seems to be plenty rugged for transporting.

The Bassman 250/210 I got is a 2007 model, bought new. I had an Ampeg BA115 and wanted something with more power. After playing several amps I opted for the Bassman 250/210. With the 3 band EQ and semi-parametric mid controls, you can get a lot of different sounds from the amp. It has an XLR output, effects loop, and a headphone jack for silent play. The features offered are plenty for me, I really need nothing else. With the 250 watt head it has plenty of power for practice, jam sessions, and probably small to medium venues. Other features are: pre amp compressor ratio, tone controls room balance, contour, treble-bass, and the mid controls. The room balance allows you set the amp for the "room" conditions you are playing in. The 2 10" Eminence speakers have a good punch but it also brings out the lows. It has a horn also that has a control on back of the amp where you can adjust the output. Overall the amp has plenty of settings and controls that allow you to get the sound you need for "your" type of music. There is one thing I wish the Bassman had. I'd like to be able to hook up an external cabinet to it bit it isn't capable of that with out disconnecting the internal 2x10's.

djflats
    Thanks...I've been using this thing a lot and no problems. The amp does have some power for sure.