Bassman 250/210 Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 08/07/2009 category: Bass Amplifiers
Fender: Bassman 250/210
The Bassman 250/210 is an elegant bass amp designed to deliver 250 watts of full power through a compression driver horn and two great-sounding 10 Fender Special Design Eminence USA PRO speakers.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 9.6
 9.9
 9.2
 5,706
reviews (2) 2 comments vote for this gear:
Bassman 250/210 Reviewed by: djflats, on april 28, 2008

Sound: I usually use a Fender Geddy Lee Jazz when playing through the amp. Now and then I use my Fender Standard Jazz(MIM) and Ibanez BTB400QM. All of the basses sound good through the Bassman. I play an assortment of music, country, southern rock, classic rock, alternative rock, and rock. Now and then I play the "old" country also along with some R&B and Motown. I don't gig at the present time, just playing at home and jam sessions. Believe me, this has way more power than enough for these settings. It should be suitable for small and medium gigs I would think. As stated earlier, I play a variety of music and the amp suits them all. It has a nice deep, warm sound when it is needed and can punch and cut when it is needed. I've always used 1x18's or 1x15's in the past so I didn't know what the 2x10's would be like. Well, they're good, from lows, mids, and hi's, the amp gets them all. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had the amp but a few months but I've had no trouble(knock on wood). I would use it to gig without a backup but then again I don't have backup. The amp seems to be built good. I like the spring-loaded side handles for carrying it and the casters are nice on smooth surfaces. It has a metal grill to guard the speakers instead of the cloth which is a nice feature. Lots of protection with a cool look. The amp is covered with carpet which is ok but it does collect dust easily. Overall though the amp looks nice and seems to be plenty rugged for transporting. // 9

Overall Impression: I play country, old country, rock, classic rock, alt rock, R&B, Motown, a variety of music. The amp does just fine with all types. Just mess with the settings for the sound you want. I used to play back in th '70s and stopped for about 25 years or so because of schooling, sports, and work. This isn't right, a guy should be able to just play the bass and forget the rest but all are not privileged or in my case good enough. I would hope nothing would happen to my Bassman but if it were stolen I believe I'd get another one. I really like the amp. There's really nothing I dislike about the amp other than the carpet(dust collector). I do put a towel over it when I'm not using it to keep the dust down. I tried a few different amps before I got this one. I tried the Ampeg BA210 but the Bassman 250/210 had more power and overall better sound which did surprise me. I tried a Line 6 Lowdown but that thing was like carrying a tank. The Crate I tried was compact but just didn't cut it(which didn't surprise me). I have always used Ampegs in the past but this Fender Bassman series seems to be a good move by Fender. I would like to be able to use an external cabinet like a 1x15 with it but you can't without disconnecting the 2x10's. Overall though, I like the amp very much. // 10

Bassman 250/210 Reviewed by: telecastrmastr, on august 07, 2009

Sound: I use this amp with my Fender Jazz Aerodyne and it sounds amazing. It gives me the rich, deep, warm, bassey tone I need. It can also get as trebley as you need it to. There is a room balance knob, which I normally turn down when in a small room so not everything shakes, but for a gig you can set it to a very deep setting and works great. I also run a pedal board thru this amp occasionally and it handles all sorts of effects great. Has no problems wit distortions and choruses sound beautiful and flow between both speakers marverously. It also handels high volumes great. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I don't have a back up amp, so I need a dependable amp and ths tin gets it done perfectly. Its tough, road ready, and I've never had a problem with it breakin down or anything. I've done quite a bit of gigging and it holds the test of time. The wheels on the amp haven't ever given me problems liek getting stuck or falling out or braking, either. // 10

Overall Impression: I love to rock, I'm a big McCartney, Sting, Flea, and Entwistle fan, it works PERFECT for those type of styles, also works great for jazz, blues, funk. I've been playing since January '07 and this is by far the best amp I've ever owned. If this amp was destroyed, I would definately rebuy the same amp, or save up and by a Bassman head and cabinet to upgrade. I tried many amps compared to this one, but none compared to the EQing I could do on this amp. I enjoyed it more than the Ampegs, Acoustics, Mark Basses. It is basically my dream amp, no room for improvement. // 10

Comments