BXR 200 review by Fender

Fender: BXR 200

Purchased from: Crazy Dave's

I use this amp with a Fender P-Bass, modified Rogue Fretless, and a Charvel San Dimas guitar. For bass, this amp has very good low end. It shakes the room even in its old age. You can shape your sound very well with the numerous knobs and buttons, and the 9 band EQ is pretty damn glorious, as opposed to 3 knobs on most other amps. I also use this amp with my San Dimas guitar through a distortion pedal, and it sounds damn great. I would recomend using this amp as a guitar amp as opposed to a bass amp.

The amp is great to use for any style of music, for either guitar or bass. I've been playing through it for four years, and it hasn't failed me too badly yet. I would advise you to buy one if you can find one for cheap that still works alright. It has great sound, and I haven't had to turn it up past 5. Actually, I haven't turned it up for fear of blowing the amp, but it is loud enough at lower volumes. I think the Bassman series is more economical, but the BXR have more of a quality sound to them.

I have used it a lot, sometimes it seems to give out while playing. This happens about once a month, but I can deal with it as I bought it very cheap.

I bought this amp used, but it looks very old. It still runs pretty well for its age. It has 200 Watts of power run through a 15" speaker. A decent combo - solid state bass head complete with a 9 band EQ with high and low shelving, "deep," "notch", "bright" buttons, a Deltacomp compressor, and an onboard chorus function with footswitch capability. Has two channels/inputs, and in back has effect in/out and XLR out. The AC cord is permanently attached, and the only thing to wrap it around is the cooling plates, which isn't economical or safe. A little heavy, as most combos are, which isn't helped by the fact that it has no wheels and inverted handles, but you can deal. Other than that, there is nothing undesirable about the amp. A headphone jack is left off, but if you buy a 200 watt amp it seems you don't want it for silent practice anyway.

jdieken
    When I first started playing bass about five years ago I bought this bass combo amp (used). After a couple of years I decided to upgrade and bought a brand new Hartke VX3500 Combo. I liked the Fender BXR 200 so much better that I sold my Hartke shortly thereafter. The Hartke just couldn't match the low end from the BXR. Though, admittingly, the Hartke produced better highs. Then recently I purchased the Fender Bassman 250/115 Combo. Again, I liked the BXR 200 so much better that I sold the Bassman. I need to note that I'm very partial the the low end growl of bass amps. I play classic rock through modern rock. Now, last night I just bought a 2nd BXR 200 Combo amp. Hope this helps.