BXR 200 Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 11/11/2010 category: Bass Amplifiers
Fender: BXR 200
It's a solid state bass head complete with a 9 band EQ with high and low shelving, "deep," "notch", "bright" buttons, a Deltacomp compressor, and an onboard chorus function with footswitch capability.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.5
 8,579
reviews (2) 1 comment vote for this gear:
BXR 200 Reviewed by: noahray, on may 31, 2006

Purchased from: Crazy Dave's

Sound: I use this amp with a Fender P-Bass, modified Rogue Fretless, and a Charvel San Dimas guitar. For bass, this amp has very good low end. It shakes the room even in its old age. You can shape your sound very well with the numerous knobs and buttons, and the 9 band EQ is pretty damn glorious, as opposed to 3 knobs on most other amps. I also use this amp with my San Dimas guitar through a distortion pedal, and it sounds damn great. I would recomend using this amp as a guitar amp as opposed to a bass amp. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I have used it a lot, sometimes it seems to give out while playing. This happens about once a month, but I can deal with it as I bought it very cheap. // 6

Overall Impression: The amp is great to use for any style of music, for either guitar or bass. I've been playing through it for four years, and it hasn't failed me too badly yet. I would advise you to buy one if you can find one for cheap that still works alright. It has great sound, and I haven't had to turn it up past 5. Actually, I haven't turned it up for fear of blowing the amp, but it is loud enough at lower volumes. I think the Bassman series is more economical, but the BXR have more of a quality sound to them. // 10

BXR 200 Reviewed by: mace200200, on november 11, 2010

Sound: I play my Fender PJ through it and it sounds great whether I'm playing with the Jazz or the Precision pickups. The clean channel doesn't have any distortion at all even when its really loud. I use it to play pretty much every kind of music and after some changes some of the eq's and shelving and pickup blend on my bass I can get it to sound how ever I want for what ever I want. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've only had this amp for two or three months but the person I bought it from had it for two or threes years and I guess all he ever had to do was change the speaker in it once. I'm not really an amp expert so I don't know what regular service and amp tubes really are I just know that its never giving me any problems and has never broke down or anything for me. // 9

Overall Impression: I use this amp for everything from playing Pantera stuff to playing it in my High School orchestra and I love how it sounds for playing anything in between. I don't have a five string bass but the dude I bought it from did and it sounded really good for that too. One thing I wish was different though was the gain dial because it doesn't really do much except for make it louder. What I really love about this amp is the enhancement because it makes it sound so much different depending on which ones you have on or off and the notch one just reduces that static a lot for when you have the volume turned way up. // 9

Comments