Rumble 15 review by Fender

• Reviewer's score: 6.5 Neat
Fender: Rumble 15

Price paid: A$ 175

Purchased from: Intermusic

I play a Squier Affinity Precision Bass that was included with this to play through and also an Ashton ARSB-382. The Precision Bass uses the conventional split-coil pickup while the Ashton uses 3 Ashton Designed '51 Precision Bass pickups. It suits my style (grunge, classic rock) as much as it can, I get away with using it but it never interests or amazes me and whenever I play another amp it's very noticeable that this one is missing that 'thing'. The amplifier isn't noisy, but can get very airy as the volume or treble control is raised causing it to get relatively noisy. The amplifier can't make many sounds, it's either really fat or really thin and never has that ballsy 'twang' that a lot of people love about a bass amplifier. At high volume, the amplifier does distort quite a bit, obviously not in a good way, the very 'farty' sound you'd expect from a beat-up school amplifier.

I play classic rock and grunge and as I have mentioned it makes a passable match, not a good one. I have been playing for a year now, I own this, an Ashton ARSB-382, a Squier Precision Bass and some electric guitar equipment. I wish I had given thorough thought before buying this amplifier, but I was just beginning and would use anything, but I outgrew this fast. If this amplifier was stolen or lost, I would not buy this amplifier again, I would buy a different amplifier, this one leaves too much to be desired. I love that this thing is very durable and I like the feel of the control knobs, not 'cheap' feeling. I hate the sound and features of this amplifier and the handle grip is very hard to get your hand under. I have compared this to other products, the Roland Cube series in particular, which blows this amplifier to pieces. If I had a previous experience with amplifiers before I purchased this, I would of gone with the Roland. I wish this amplifier was 'fun' for lack of a better word, it lacks the happiness and joy a good amplifier should deliver.

A good thing about this amplifier is it's gosh darn durable! I can depend on it as much as you can depend on a practice amplifier, but you could almost say it's unnecessarily built like a tank for what it's made for, perhaps that's where the money in the amplifier goes. The amplifier has never broken down and I expect it to Live on for a while.

The amplifier was made in 2008. This amplifier is not very versatile, it lacks the options of a larger amplifier to make it get a range of sounds out of it. I play genres such as classic rock and grunge and it works for those, but it never 'amazes' me. The amplifier has 1 channel, so no channel switching here and no effects loop either. The amplifier does have a headphone jack though and the sound significantly improves for me when playing through headphones. I wish the amplifier came with something that could interest a beginner a bit more, a compressor, some reverb or just anything that removes the 'boring' from this amplifier. I use all the features on mine except for the CD input as it's a two-connector input and needs a converter to plug ipods into. I use this amplifier for home practice only as it isn't powerful enough for gig usage, although it is plenty loud indoors by yourself for 15 watts. It should be noted that the Fender Rumble 15 is a solid state combo amplifier and uses an 8" Fender Special Design that handles 8 ohms and 25 watts speaker.