Backline 210 review by Gallien-Krueger

Gallien-Krueger: Backline 210

I use a Fender jazz bass, and while that isn't great with distortion, the clean sounds great. It has a good variety of sounds and tones (thanks to the two channels clean and dist. And the 4-band EQ). It is good for the music I play. I wouldn't set the bass higher than 7 because then it just sounds like a whale moaning in a microphone, but it sound fine with treble at 3, high mid at 5, low mid at 5, and bass at 7. That's what mine is usually set at, however when I switch to distortion, I switch the bass and treble settings. The distortion can either be quiet or sound like a guitar if you play chords. I'm very pleased with that feature.

I love it, the only major drawback in my opinion is the weight, size, and lack of casters. But just get over that and buy it already. Best ever for the money. I'd take it over a higher priced Ampeg any day and twice on sundays. All I'd change is the caster situation. Any way I love it. Get it, now I mean it.

I haven't dropped it or done it any damage, but it has a very sturdy construction, and I guess that's why it's so heavy. The display model I tried out had been there for years and it was still kickin'. So I imagine, you'd have to change the speakers every now and then, but other than that I think it'll last a while. It is probably one of the last amps I'll ever need to buy, just get another cab later on and there you go. gig rig!

This wasn't a display model. The one in the showroom had a couple problems, but mine is much better. I play all kinds of music, from death metal to punk to slap funk. The built-in distortion is a rare item in the bass amp arena. Overdriven, it can sound like a gritty bass or even a guitar is you play high up and use chords (no joke, I like! Scared my guitarist half to death). Clean gets a really good punch when I play slap. The thumps from my thumb come through better than usual, and the plucks with my forefinger are like a punch in the gut, that's the only way I can describe it. The only reason I don't give it a perfect 10 for two reasons: it is extremely heavy (50-60 pounds) and cumbersome, and it lacks built in casters and it's difficult to add them on later. I use it in both practice and gigs. it can actually handle a guitar half-stack with little trouble. 2x10" speakers make the noise. It's 175 watts mono and 300 watts stereo which gives it enough power to do such things. I also like the built in ability to add extension cabs later. I reccomend other backline series cabs (2x10 or 1x15, maybe a 4x10). I love this amp, that's all I can say.

wpbass
    I looked for a long time for the right bass amp.I finally bought the Backline 210 to replace my crate bx 160.Great choice/ Now i am ready to replace the 160 with another 210.The 210 tone and punch has spoiled me.Enjoy/// wpbass