Backline 210 Review

manufacturer: Gallien-Krueger date: 11/07/2006 category: Bass Amplifiers
Gallien-Krueger: Backline 210
The Backline 210 Combo puts the GK sound in its most affordable package ever, making it accessible to many more players! The Backline combos carry on the legacy of the GK product line. Features ample sound output to handle full-volume jams and performances in smaller venues with ease!
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 8,659
reviews (2) 5 comments vote for this gear:
Backline 210 Reviewed by: punkbass479, on july 25, 2006

Sound: I use a Fender jazz bass, and while that isn't great with distortion, the clean sounds great. It has a good variety of sounds and tones (thanks to the two channels clean and dist. And the 4-band EQ). It is good for the music I play. I wouldn't set the bass higher than 7 because then it just sounds like a whale moaning in a microphone, but it sound fine with treble at 3, high mid at 5, low mid at 5, and bass at 7. That's what mine is usually set at, however when I switch to distortion, I switch the bass and treble settings. The distortion can either be quiet or sound like a guitar if you play chords. I'm very pleased with that feature. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I haven't dropped it or done it any damage, but it has a very sturdy construction, and I guess that's why it's so heavy. The display model I tried out had been there for years and it was still kickin'. So I imagine, you'd have to change the speakers every now and then, but other than that I think it'll last a while. It is probably one of the last amps I'll ever need to buy, just get another cab later on and there you go. gig rig! // 10

Overall Impression: I love it, the only major drawback in my opinion is the weight, size, and lack of casters. But just get over that and buy it already. Best ever for the money. I'd take it over a higher priced Ampeg any day and twice on sundays. All I'd change is the caster situation. Any way I love it. Get it, now I mean it. // 9

Backline 210 Reviewed by: andrew7667, on november 07, 2006

Purchased from: Personal Friend

Sound: I'm using a Schecter Diamond series bass with dual coil humbuckers. This amp is great for when I play more heavier stuff (i.e. Tool) than it is for brighter stuff, but I have a feeling this is mainly due to my bass, not my amp. The amp is loud. I've jacked it all the way up, but I never leave it that high. It'll get a little bit of distortion if you let it clip (duh) but with the mute pad (I think that's what it's called) that comes with it you shouldn't have to worry about it. The distortion can give you everything from a mild overdrive to a nice crunch. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've dropped it from the back of my truck and I've heard of people rolling it down hills and into curbs. The only thing that doesn't seem to last for most people are the speakers. The amp is loud enough at lower volumes that you should be okay for a while, but that would be the only issue I could see from using this amp. // 9

Overall Impression: I got this amp for $250 from a friend of mine. For the price, there is no way it could have been beat. I would definitely buy another if it were ever stolen. The only thing I hate about this amp is the weight, lack of wheels, and it only having one input. Every other feature on the amp is great. Go ahead and buy this amp, you won't be disappointed. // 9

Comments