MB112 review by Gallien-Krueger

Gallien-Krueger: MB112

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

I play into this bad boy with an Epiphone T-Bird Pro bass, and it sounds great. I'm able to achieve not only good rock tones, but great mellow motown tones, and incredibly great slap sounds. It stays clean for a good amount of time, and it's cleans are very articulate and resounding. It will eventually dirty up with enough volume and the right eq, and though it sounds good, I found the cleans are so great I simply prefer them. I'm not sure if its the cab design, but this has the most low end of any 12" I've heard, and given that it doesn't fart out, I could be fooled into thinking its a 15".

Given that I play rock, with some slap and funk thrown in, this amp performs like a champ. I haven't been playing terribly long, and a bass expert might hear better amps, but for me, I can't think of anything more cost effective since it is only 340$. It's made for portability. And it does well. It's a little deep, making it somewhat awkward, but it's still pleasantly light. I have no regrets buying the amp, as I'm totally fine with a simple set up. My one gripe is that there's no Ground Lift switch, making recording a challenge. If it were stolen, then some guy needs to check his priorities given that there are considerably easier things to steal than an amp. Regardless, I'd get another one.

I've only had this amp for a few months, so I can't speak on it's longevity, however I have yet to read where one has broken down. The amp runs very efficiently, and even though it has a fan on the back, it's never had to come on. I would gig without a backup if I had too, though I'm my bands guitarist who just wanted to learn bass, so I guess I won't gig with it much at all for now. I trust this thing for a while. I'll give it a 10 in good faith.

The MB112 is a conveniently small, 28 lb. amp by GK. But at 200 watts, has some great sounds. It's a simple, one channel amp with active/passive inputs, a gain knob, a mid contour switch, and a 4 band EQ. Even though it's honestly the most meat and potatoes set up I've ever seen, the sounds you can get are quite versatile. It has has an aux input, a headphone out, and a direct out for some easy silent practice and recording. However, the xlr out is facing backwards, meaning you need a key or some other small utensil to unhook the cable (though I've heard it's not a hard process to flip it around). Also with the lack of a ground lift switch, recording direct can be iffy depending on where you are. Being that it's 200 watts, I could most likely gig with it, as I've never had to turn it up above half.

CaliforniaKid
    I also have this amp... and it will be the last bass amp I'll ever buy. 200 watts at 28 lbs. is damn near a miracle... no more shlepping 75 lb. bass amps for me. I've heard that the XLR can't be turned around, something about it being directly contacting the PC board. Its REALLY not a big deal as long as you have a car key handy, and I don't expect I'll ever use it anyway... 200 watts = plenty of power. I agree with the reviewer, its absolutely amazing how great the 12" speaker sounds in this thing.
    bizzy713
    All the above is true!! I've had one for 1 year now. I was playing out last year and this old St. Louis Music Crate 15 combo made in the early 90's gave out on me (at the gig!). My guitarist lived close by and said don't worry I'll be back in a few. I walked back in the bar 20 min later and said the amp is in the car. I thought "okay, since he went home to get it least I could do is carry it in, right?" The amp was so light "I JOGGED IT IN WITH ONE HAND"!! I think he was trying to make a point. I put it on stage and plugged it in thinking "it only has a 12 but hopefully I'll get by for the other 2 sets. This amp was HEARD and FELT and my drummer was a pounder!! I was so impressed even though I was very broke 2 days after XMAS last Dec. I went out and bought one. ** The bad~it went out on me last month so Sam Ash hooked me up and switched it out for me in Good Faith and said they would deal with GK on the matter. Guitar Center would never do that! As far as retail stores go Sam Ash has earned my business. Whatever retailer you buy it from just pay a bit more for a service plan (just in case$30-40 extra). I Love This Amp and my 70's Music Man head and cab hasn't left the house for any of my gigs since I bought this GK MB112 I personally don't see the need to buy the mb115 with a 15. This amp does great with the 12 in it!! Also the compact and lightweight factor is what sold me in combination with the great sound. Now given I bought it for $325 out the door here in California ..its the best bang for your buck!!