MB112 Review

manufacturer: Gallien-Krueger date: 07/14/2011 category: Bass Amplifiers

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ad free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Gallien-Krueger: MB112
The MB112 is a conveniently small, 28 lb. amp by GK. But at 200 watts, has some great sounds. It's a simple, one channel amp with active/passive inputs, a gain knob, a mid contour switch, and a 4 band EQ.
 9.2
 8.8
 9.5
 9,171
review (1) pictures (2) 2 comments vote for this gear:
MB112 Reviewed by: Charley2715, on july 14, 2011

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Sound: I play into this bad boy with an Epiphone T-Bird Pro bass, and it sounds great. I'm able to achieve not only good rock tones, but great mellow motown tones, and incredibly great slap sounds. It stays clean for a good amount of time, and it's cleans are very articulate and resounding. It will eventually dirty up with enough volume and the right eq, and though it sounds good, I found the cleans are so great I simply prefer them. I'm not sure if its the cab design, but this has the most low end of any 12" I've heard, and given that it doesn't fart out, I could be fooled into thinking its a 15". // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've only had this amp for a few months, so I can't speak on it's longevity, however I have yet to read where one has broken down. The amp runs very efficiently, and even though it has a fan on the back, it's never had to come on. I would gig without a backup if I had too, though I'm my bands guitarist who just wanted to learn bass, so I guess I won't gig with it much at all for now. I trust this thing for a while. I'll give it a 10 in good faith. // 10

Overall Impression: Given that I play rock, with some slap and funk thrown in, this amp performs like a champ. I haven't been playing terribly long, and a bass expert might hear better amps, but for me, I can't think of anything more cost effective since it is only 340$. It's made for portability. And it does well. It's a little deep, making it somewhat awkward, but it's still pleasantly light. I have no regrets buying the amp, as I'm totally fine with a simple set up. My one gripe is that there's no Ground Lift switch, making recording a challenge. If it were stolen, then some guy needs to check his priorities given that there are considerably easier things to steal than an amp. Regardless, I'd get another one. // 9

Comments