A100 review by Hartke

Hartke: A100

I'm using it with an Encore PK40 (not good) with the worst single coil pickups ever, however it sounds excellent. When the amp is set to a very bassy setting, it makes the world vibrate, very powerful. The low notes are deep and rich and the high ends are crisp and tight. My bass doesn't do it enough justice but it should sound awesome with a better bass. It is not noisy, except when the tone on the bass is turned up to the full, but this is down to the dreadful Encore pickups. It is very easy to get the sound you want from this amp because of the amount of settings for the EQ. You can aget a nice deep rock tone, as well as a decent slap tone. I really like the sound of this amp.

I play rock/alternative style music and this is a amp is a great match because of the range of sounds, it has crisp high notes, punchy mids and deep lows. It is very versatile and it would be great for funk/jazz as well. I've been playing for nearly 2 years and I own a Encore PK40, which I'm hopefully going to replace in a few months time. I tried out a Marshall B65 and a B150, and I chose this amp beacuse I found it more able to cope with different styles of music. I fit were stolen/lost I would definitely buy again, but I would also consider an Ashdown Electric Blue 15-180, because of the Ashdown name, the wattage for the price and the fact there is a jack for plugging in extension cabs. I still think this amp would be better though. I don't dislike anything about it, and I like everything about it apart from the fact there is no extension jack. Otherwise, this is a top quality amp from one of the most underrated brands around.

It is fairly portable for an amp of 100 watts and it feels solid and well made. All the controls seem well made and well screwed on. It hasn't broken down, and Hartke amps are usually dependable. The speaker grille is kickproof and solid, unlike the one on the Marshall Bass State series, which I also tried. I would use this amp at a gig without a backup because I can't see this amp going wrong.

The amp has 7 graphic equalizer controls, a bass and treble control, effects loops, headphone jack and a CD input jack. I wish it had a input so you could plug in extension cabinets for bigger sound. I use this amp in my bedroom, but I could easily use it on stage. It is a solid state amp. Oh and it also has a limiter for extreme slapping.

the_guy
    thyre not underrated -- underused is probably a better word, but you get what I mean
    GibsonGuru311
    i love hartke amps, i have this same one and it is awesome, i think they dont get enough credit
    jerbal
    the bassist in my band has this amp . we got to our band room one day and some how the whole thing had stuffed up , the speaker wouldnt work or something . other wise its good . loud as **** .
    qotsa1998
    Im gonna start playing bass in my church band soon, and this is the amp that they have there. Its good to know that ill be playing thru a great amp, even if i do suck as a bassist.
    ChippyBwoii
    Play a 5 string musicman and a 4 string fender thru this handles low end extremely well due to the saize of the speaker cone and with a bit of tweaking can get very good tones
    Shakeygripe
    One small point: be careful when using as a headphoney practise amp. When the capacitors discharge when you turn it off (the popping noise), it doesn't get reduced when put through the headphones. I broke my nice headphones thanks to my beautiful Hartke!