LH500 Review

manufacturer: Hartke date: 12/14/2011 category: Bass Amplifiers

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Hartke: LH500
Hartke's hybrid LH500 is a giggable bass head that aims to fill the gap between features and affordability. This is a hybrid amp that pushes out 500 watts.
 7.8
 7.3
 8.3
 5,405
review (1) pictures (2) 1 comment vote for this gear:
LH500 Reviewed by: JustRooster, on december 14, 2011

Purchased from: Not Purchased

Sound: I played this amp through three different basses. I started off with a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass to try and get the best funk tone that I could muster. This amp, I found right away, was incredibly smooth. No matter how hard I hammered on the J bass, it always evened out to a balanced and smooth sustain. While some people may like that, if you're looking for punch and presence, this might not be the way to go. The next I played was a Schecter bass with active pickups. This was to attempt to get some really nice jazz tones. This is where, I think, the Hartke LH500 really shined. The warmth was incredible for a solid state amp. As with the Jbass, everything was smooth and even, almost as if it were being put through a condenser. Lastly I played a Gibson Thunderbird IV. I was trying to get some growly low end, which this amp accomplished, but not to a Stellar degree. Just for fun, I also threw a Big Muff Germanium in front. I was surprised by how well this amp took to pedals. The fuzz seemed thick and well articulated from the head. This is a great amp if you're looking to play rock and jazz on a budget, but I'd be wary if you're wanting to play funk. // 7

Reliability & Durability: There isn't much else to say other than that it's indestructible. Full metal casing on a rack mounted head? This thing wouldn't take damage in a room full of three year olds and hammers. We get quite a lot of traffic that goes through the shop. This amp sits next to a few ampegs, so it doesn't get THAT much attention. However, I've never seen one thing go wrong with this head. // 10

Overall Impression: This amp is great on the wallet and on the tone. The real money will be finding the best cabinet to play this with. I played through a Hartke Hydrive 410 for this test, and I would comfortably suggest that as well. If you want Jazz and smooth Rock tones without going broke, definitely take a look at this amp. // 7

More Hartke reviews rating category latest review
+ Bass Attack VXL 7.6 Bass Effects 11/29/2012