BassKick 505 Review

manufacturer: Hughes & Kettner date: 08/03/2012 category: Bass Amplifiers
Hughes & Kettner: BassKick 505
This amp has been gigged and rehearsed for at least 12 years and apart from wear on the handles, the amp is in fairly good condition. Hughes & Kettner seem to have made this to last and it is doing a great job so far.
 9.8
 9.5
 3,373
review (1) pictures (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
BassKick 505 Reviewed by: SPANISHDAVE, on august 03, 2012

Price paid: € 200

Purchased from: secondhand

Sound: I have a Tanglewood Canyon 4 bass with Mighty Mite pick up. I play in cover bands that cover a bit of absolutely everything, Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots, Zep, Hendrix, Smashing Pumpkins, Tracy Chapman, Damien Rice, Joan Armatrading, Alexisonfire, Britney Spears... (no not really) and is amp is coping well with everything. I noticed a lack of volume when plugged into the active input so I changed the battery in my bass and tried again but still no improvement, playing through the passive input works perfectly. The Tweeter can be turned on and off but with the tweeter on there is a bit of crackling even at low volumes, it could be an easy fixed but with the tweeter off and the EQ tweeked all A OK! // 8

Reliability & Durability: Bought this amp on a Friday, took it home and fiddled for an hour and gigged it the next day. The bits mentioned above are probably all fixable and will be fixed when I have the money but the amp works great as it is and we are talking about an amp that is possible 15 to 20 years old. // 10

Overall Impression: I bought this amp secondhand and only because it was through a friend of a friend. I could find next to nothing about the amp online and still can't. From what I have been told by the previous owner, this amp has been gigged and rehearsed for at least 12 years and apart from wear on the handles, the amp is in fairly good condition. Hughes & Kettner seem to have made this to last and it is doing a great job so far. // 10

Comments