KBA 10X review by Kustom

Kustom: KBA 10X

I'm using an Encore PK40 with single coil pickups through it, and even though it isn't the greatest bass in the world, it sounds quite good as long as you keep the volume down. Turn it up past halfway and it goes beyond the limit and buzzes when you play a note aggresively or try to slap. But keep it below that and you get a nice clean punchy tone, especially low end, so it suits my rocky style of playing. The amp doesn't produce much static noise even around computers etc. but turn the tone knob up on the bass and it crackles quite badly. This is mainly down to the single coils of my bass though. It isn't the most versatile amp, as there are only three EQ knobs, so finding the ideal sound can be difficult, but it's a beginners amp, so what do you expect? I wouldn't use it at a gig, well, because it isn't nearly powerful enough.

Although it isn't the most powerful amp in the world, it is a good choice for a beginning bassist. It suits my style of play (rock), but those wanting more control over the tone should look elsewhere, because this amp isn't versatile enough. I've been playin for 1 and a half years now and I also own a 100w Hartke A100 amp (superb amp). I wish that I had asked what other amps I could get for the same price as the Kustom though. If it were stolen/lost, I wouldn't buy another one as it isn't powerful enough but I would recommend Kustom products to other people. I love the fact that this amp is just a proper beginners amp. It's inexpensive, simple, never breaks and has most of the basic features you need. I dislike the fact that it is only 10 watts (a Fender Rumble 15 has only 5 more watts but it makes a hell of a difference), and the way it buzzes at high volumes. This amp came in a package so I had no choice but it still sounds reasonable even compared to more expensive products. I wish it had a) a CD input and b) more watts, but that is where my 100w Hartke comes in. Overall, this is pretty good amp for beginners.

I've owned this amp for 1 year and a half now, and it hasn't missed a beat, one of the most dependable things I've ever owned. I'm a bit of a clumsy person and I have bashed it about a bit but it still feels a solid as ever. There is never a felling that it will break. The materials used are solid and they speaker protecter is very strong. I wouldn't use this particular amp at a gig but I would definitely use other Kustom products at a gig without backups.

As it is a beginners bass amp it has one channel, it has one headphone jack, 3 EQ settings (bass, middle, and treble). It has all the essential stuff for a beginners amp. I wish it had and CD input so I could play along to some songs. I use this amp in my bedroom for practise and I feel that I need slightly more power. 10 watts, I believe, really isn't enough for a bass amp. It is a solid state amplifier.