R2 review by Laney

Laney: R2

Purchased from: TRvor Davies Music

I use an Ibanez 405QM with active Bartolini pickups. It has a 3 band active EQ with bass (boost/cut), treble (boost/cut) and mid frequency pot and mid boost/cut. I can also change the amount each pick up is being used which can alter the tone dramatically. The amp and the guitar suit the rock sound really well and folk. however when I play jazz I use an old Yamaha BB1100S with with the standard P pickups and rotosound Jazz bass strings. The amp really helps and creates anice warm resonant tone. The amp can get quite loud but dont turn the bass up too much! The sound can be well manipulated with the EQ: bass, treble, parametric EQ (level/frequency) enhance and presence. It distorts quite a lot when the volume is up too much, so if volume is what you need, don't get this one get the next one up.

Overall this amp is very good, and if I go to anything bigger I might just get a bigger Laney richter amp. I'm still not pleased though aboput Laney saying that the amp was 120 watts.

If I used it in a gig with my rock band I would definately have a back up. No way could it handle it. The amp has never broken down and Laney are very helpful. It is also very tough. On the way to a gig the other night, the boot of the mini bus we were in flew open and the amp went flying out. My dad had made a wooden cover for the front and that protected everything, unfortunately, the corners took quite a bashing and one fell off. It still worked perfectly though!

This amp is brilliant. It can play almost every style there is. I use it mainly for rock, folk and jazz but I'm sure it would suit metal etc. It has one cahnnel but two inputs: a normal and high, I guess that it just means active/passive. It doesn't have a headphone which is quite irritating but then again it isnt really a practice amp. It's about 80 watts and I was quite annoyed because I was told it was 120watts but you had to buy an extension cab to get it that high, and now I've got the cab its not much louder. It has a DI socket too. It also has a compressor which you can turn on and off so if the gain is too high it will compress the sound so it does not distort and it also has a limiter which you can also turn on and off which stops the amp distorting too much if thecompressor cant handle it. It works well in my jazz and folk band but it doesn't have a chance in my rock band, it's up against a drum kit and a 250 watt guitar amp.