RB1 review by Laney

Laney: RB1

Price paid: A$ 200

Purchased from: Rajen Music

I used to use this bass with my Squier J-Bass but that wasn't much good so I got a Schecter Stiletto Extreme 5-String about 2 months ago with Schecter Humbuckers. I play in a metal band and to get a really punchy bass sound that I like to use, I think it really depends on the bass when using this amp. My old Squier which I hardly use anymore had about 2 different settings combined with the amp that sounded alright, but with the Schecter its really easy to get that punchy sound, which is really all I aim for. There isn't much static in this amp even when I turn it to 10 at band practice. As long as your bass is at least 2 metres away from it, you will have almost no static and even if you sit on it you hardly get any. On full volume, there is only the slightest trace of distortion with the gain on 0. The distortion isn't really for my style but I usually put the gain on about 3-4 for a little extra volume.

This amp can suit any style of music really, as long as you have the right bass and/or pedals. But for the punchy sound I like, my bass and amp combination works pretty well. I sometimes put it through a DigiTech RP300A guitar pedal mainly for wah, distortion, reverb and some mod-effects and that works fine as well. If I lost it or it got stolen I think it would be a great excuse to get a better amp. I think the best part is the very low amount of static it gives but the worst part is the lack of features/dials. I just went for the cheapest amp and cheapest bass in the store because I wasn't sure if I was really going to go through with bass guitar so I didn't do any reasearch ar compare any other amps.

This amp is very durable from my experiences. I've dropped it 2 or 3 times, not very serious, and knocked it on a lot of walls, but it still works perfectly fine. The only thing that has changed is a very slight rattling when I pick it up and move it, but I think that's the speaker. It has a carpet covering and metal on all the corners. There is a very strong metal grille covering the speaker. I can really depend on this amp not to break and it has never not worked for me. I wouldn't recommend performing with this because of the volume issue but if I did I wouldn't take a backup because it just won't break.

Well I bought this amp when I started playing bass about 7-8 months ago and I wasn't sure about how long I would be playing bass for so I bought this and a cheap Squier J-Bass so I wouldn't blow much money. I don't know when it was made but it was made in China and designed in the UK. The amp doesn't have a heap of features: 1 input, gain, bass, middle, treble, volume, headphones, CD/line in and of course the good old on/off Switch. It has only one channel and no effects so no footswitch. No effects loop. It says 30W on my amp but 15W on some internet sites so I'll just go by what my amp says. It uses one 8" speaker, solid state and closed back. I think it would be good if it had reverb and maybe some better distortion because the gain dial doesn's sound good for distortion. I would suggest a pedal. Becuase this is my only bass amp I use it for my individual practice and at a studio with my band and it just manages to get the right volume. It works alright for most bass styles but to get good distortion you would need a pedal. Also keyboards and electric guitars work well through the amp.