1200R Head review by Marlboro

I was using Fender Blues Junior at the time and it didn't have the necessary power, it's 50W and had only one 10" speaker, so I got rid of it and changed it to a Laney 4 X 12" speaker cabinet at one of my local music shops. I dug the old Marlboro for the oblivion and gave it a try. First the size of the volume was overwhelming. The small thing could deliver a lot of volume. The sound was muddy, but when I turned treble to the max and bass almost all the way down it really had a over all good punchy retro sound to it. It only delivers clear sound and it can't be overdriven without a overdrive pedal. I tried Boss OD-3 and some distortion pedals and I got a playable sound out of it. I play mostly rhythm stuff so the sound was ok for that. I was wondering could I somehow use the other 3 channels as well. I build myself a pedal that split my guitar singal into two. I used the "dry" channel with the overdrine pedals and the "wet" channel with other effects like phaser, chorus and tremolo. Now I could mix my dry sound with the effected clean sound and boy this is something that all guitarpalyers should do. I mixed no reverbed distorted sound with fully reverbed phaser sound and now I have a normal sound with phased reverb. Or the other way around... The options seemed endless. Only problem was that when I turned off the "Y" pedal the volume jumped one level higher. This could only be fixed if I made a little preamp for both dry and wet channels. I'm a bit lazy so I didn't do it, but maybe some day. Now I still use my Marlboro head with a ART Tube EQ. From the amp I turned treble all the way up and the bass all the way down. I adjust the EQ before it goes to the amp and I can tell you that though the ART Tube EQ is no preamp it gives the sound ingredible soothnes. I have the input level almost all the way up so I get some tube limitation to the sound and adjust the output volume so it is the same as in the bypass. This prevents any possible overloadaing that might come to the amp. Well what can I say. The amp in its self is very midle ranged ond/or muddy, but with the Tube EQ I can get incredible tone out of it. Many of my friends who have played for a long, long time say that I have a magical combination going on with my EQ and amp. On its own the amp sounds between 6,5, but with some adjustments the adjustments I've made I give it a 9. I intend to work on with the sound so it reaches full 10.

It's an ok amp for someone who starts playing and for me who has been playing for 14 years and recording 3 years I can get a good sound out of it with a little fingering. Like it's been said. It's unique.

The amp is like a rock... It is so steady and firm I can't say nothing bad about it. It's not heavy at all which surprises me a lot.

I have a model 1200R, listed as 138D. And I also found a code 8341 from its back. I have no idea where this amp was originally created and build. It has four individual inputs and volume controls for each channel. Master output has bass, treble, reverb and volume controls. The individual volume switches also control the reverb so one channel has no reverb if the knob is not bullet to its second position which is away from the actual amp head. !?!? (lost myself there for a second). I think the option were very limited and the amp was kind of waiting to be sold... Until one day...