Bass State B65 review by Marshall

Marshall: Bass State B65

Purchased from: middlesbrough music centre

As I have already said you can get lots of tonal variation from this thing, for the type of music that I play I have a high gain setting for that distorted sound but you can have the very clean tone needed for other styles of music. The only problem is the buzzing when on a high tone setting from the bass but this is to be expected on any amp. I have been running an Encore PK40 through it and it has 2 split single coil pickups which give a great funk/rock tone on a high setting on the amp and an awesome rock tone on a low setting.

Marshall is known as the father of loud and that is no lie. It has the best tone possible for rock/metal although it can be used for funk/jazz/blues etc aswell. If I lost it in a fire I would most certainly buy it again although I would be hard pushed to find another one at the same price: they retail at 360 GBP and got it for 120!

I got it second hand and there was only a very small amount of damage on it which I only noticed after a while of owning it. I havn't really had enough time to drop it although it has had one or two knocks. If it stands up to marshalls very good reputation on durability it should be with me for a long time.

I play basically any style of rock and this amp suits it all. It has a 2 band rotary eq and a 5 band graphic eq and this means that you can get a very bassey hard rock tone all the way through to a funky twangy type sound. It has a compressor to smoothe out those unwanted peaks as Marshall put it and a limiter so you cant go too far either way (high or low). I bought it because I needed something with more power than my old Kustom kba 10 and I can already see (after 3 days of owning it) that I will not need another amp for some time, the 12 inch speaker cone can more than stand up to the beefiest of drumkits to play over and the line out socket means you dont have to mic up to a pa system and you wont get all of the unwanted noise.

Ataxia
    I own this amp, my second amp infact. It's certainly got a large range of tonal capabilities and is more than loud enough to stand upto the loudest of drummers. Great amp!
    TelstarTowers
    Bought mine on ebay for 56 in an almost mint condition. Dropped it five times off the trolley in the snow getting it home. THE loudest combo in it's range I have ever played and I'm still playing around with the sound. There is almost no distortion up loud and the EQ is actually a smart little unit in itself. As I say it fell off the trolley 5 times in transit but it didn't hit the ground with a thump - it sort of very slowly rolled over without a noise! - amp ergonomics? Try a 'V shape on the EQ with the middle slider on 0 decibels and the outer two around 8-9 Db. This appears to be the best all round EQ without too much meddling. I have heard nothing but good news on this amp, even from Marshall haters. I will never sell this amp and am looking for a spare. Since I bought it 3 days ago I have been getting up in the middle of the night or when I have a spare few minutes to meddle and explore - i can't leave it alone for an hour without switching on and playing. It's very heavy, virtually indestructable, smooth at low signals and loads of crunch - I play a Mex Jazz bass and the fretless version too. Remarkable lux tones playing the Mex Jazz fretless but I'd be interested to play something with a meatier pick-up thru it. I will probably play it live thru a Hiwatt B100 maxwatt (15") with the B65 doing all the leg-work sound and settings-wise. I may double them up with identical amps for some stereo if I'm happy. Buy one of these amps. And then don't let it go. I predict that these will become a minor classic Marshall. I always do some detective work before purchasing kit and found out they stopped making them after a few years apparently.They are certainly loud enough to be used live - the line out TLS is at the front - and, in the studio I'll be replacing a lot of bass tracks I've previously recorded here at Telstar Towers. Good luck.
    Benbishop375
    Bought this amp second hand for 150 and its brilliant..... I can get the exact tone I want out of it and as well as that its more than loud enough for band practice ;P