GL30B review by Mega Amp

• Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
Mega Amp: GL30B

Price paid: C$ 150

Purchased from: Michel Delisle Musique

This is a terrible bass amp. It is commpletely useless for use with the instrument, as it is incapable of producing any low end. Whenever the bass knob on my bass guitar was turned up, it produced the same thin, clicky popping sound that occurs when a bass is run through a guitar amplifier. In fact, my old borrowed USA Fender Jam is capable of producing more low end than the GL30B. The impressive thing about this amp is that it sounds amazing with guitar. It doesn't handle distortion quite as well as I would like it to, but it is capable of producing beautifully clear clean tones. Even with effects piled in the effects loop, it doesn't sound nearly as muddy as a Fender or Crate practice amp. It isn't so great at achieving massive volumes (especially with a dirt box in front of it), but can get loud enough to rattle everything in the house without the signal cracking up, so it's good enough for me. The contour knob is utterly useless (the difference in sound is almost entirely unnoticeable), but the tone knobs offer a fair deal of versatility. It isn't much, but it's more than good enough as a bedroom amp, but only with a guitar. As a guitar amp, it gets a 7.

I play ambient, effects-laden music, and for this reason, I find myself using the Fender Jam for guitar (because of it's different channels and the option of having chorus). I imagine it could better serve a guitarist who used cleans primarily. I've been able to get very jazzy sounds out of this with a guitar. For bass, I now use my girlfriend's Yorkville amp, which (obviously) has much more bass response. The GL30B was the amplifier I was given with my very first bass a few years back. To be honest, it was a fine starting amp and is very useful (and affordable) to beginner bassists. If it had a bit more bass response, this would be a much better and more useable amplifier. If it were to die on me, I definitely wouldn't replace it with another GL30B as I don't really use it much anymore, but a couple of years back, I probably would have.

This amplifier has gigged once and everything went fine. The GL30B is surprisingly heavy and sturdy for an amp so small, and if it were to fall/topple over, the surface on which it fell would likely be more damaged than the amplifier. As mentionned above, I thought it was malfunctioning in the past but then realised that it was the multi-effects processor that I was using. It may not look like much, but it does the job.

I'm really not sure where Mega builds their amps, and even an internet search doesn't give me the answers. Considering the price range, though, it was probably made in China. This isn't the most complicated of amps. It's a solid state practice amp features one active and one passive channel, an effects loop, a headphone jack, one volume, one treble, one mid, and one bass knob, and a contour knob. I've never had a chance to try the active channel, simply because I've never owned an active bass. I use the amp at home in my room, though it has played one small gig in the past. Trial has shown me that this is a much better guitar amp than it is a bass amp (more on this later).

toyboxmonster
    Equivalence wrote: lol are you sure you bought a bass amp xD nah just kidding good review though
    Thanks. And yeah, really, it is a bass amp...The speaker just doesn't seem to handle bass too well lol
    Keegz_smith
    ive got a mega amp. its the T60R for elctrics. its ok way to much distortion for me but its got two channels clear and distortion so thats good enough for. havent tried it any gig but then again im not that good so practise amp SURE but definatly not a gig amp maybe its just the brand.