Basic 112 review by Peavey

Peavey: Basic 112

Purchased from: A shop

I have a bass with a humbucker and a single coil in it, 5 strings and active electronics. Firstly if you crank it there is quite a bit of buzzing but it's nowhere near as loud as the actual bass sound. There is a lot of low end- I get a lot of low end with the bass on my basses EQ on half which is good because it means I don't have to sacrifice tone to get low end. the highs can be very annoying so I turn it down to about half and don't use the bright switch. The great thing about this amp is that you get a wide range of tones without changing the settings. I can use the same setting for rock/metal basselines as for slapping (it's probbably a bit bassy to be considered true slap but I like it like that). The distortion is surprisingly nice for a solid state amp which is good because there is not a lot of headroom on this amp. It is pretty loud but you would probbably need an extension cab to give it the volume you need for practicing with a band (altho I'm a bit deaf (which I suppose means it must be pretty loud, so I can't actually say how loud it is compared to a drumkit for example).

I play rock/metal and a bit of funk bass and this works. I'm sure it would work with any style of music but my bass is very metal-orientated. I chose this amp because I alredy had a Peavey and knew that they were reliable and sounded good and you get a lot more bang for buck then with a big name Marshall or Fender. This amp has a great all round sound and is great for anyone looking to get an amp to jam at a good volume or start giging.

I can't say wether it is reliable 'couse I haven't had it very long but it seems solid and you don't get the sense that it will fall apart or blow up if you crank it and then put a really high signal thru it which is good. I think peaveys are very kind of workhorsie amps, I remember someone had a Peavey Ultra 112 which is tube and they didn't even have to replace them in the 8 years since it was made! Yes I would use it without a backup.

It's a one channel S/S bass amp with an active/passive bass switch which basically cuts down the signal so it doesn't distort with active basses. Then there is gain, low, low mid, high mid, high, a bright Switch and a master volume control. The power is about 50/60w but goes up to 70 if you add a cab. It only uses 75 watts of power tho which is nice. I wish this had reverb and a distortion or a boost channel and that it was a bit bigger because it seems they have sacrificed acoustic response for a compact size.