Combo 115 review by Peavey

Peavey: Combo 115

Purchased from: Willis Music

I have a Tradition 4-string bass with P&J pickups on it; a Squire 5-string with P&J Pickups, and a 6-string Alvarez bass with soap bar stile pickups. Ok, that being said, all three of my basses have passive pickups on them, but they all sound great through this amp. Some would probably think I'm exaggerating, but I think this amp would probably make a bad instrument sound good, or at least better. As I stated before I play mainly contemporary black Gospel in church, but I also play classic R&B, some pop and classic rock, and this amp does it all. This amp does not distort even at very high volumes. It produces lows that you can literally feel, lows, mids and highs that are crystal clear (I added a tweeter to the enclosure). You can dial in any kind of sound that you want with it. I have had this amp for five years and it has never failed me, ever. Never gone out, blown a fuse, or blown the speaker. It has performed flawlessly in all venues at all volume levels. I only gave it a 9 and not a 10 for sound because only a head/cab would sound better; say a Genz Benz 6.0 or 10.0 (that's a 600 and a 1000 watt head for those Who don't know) and a 2X12 or 4X10 cab would outperfomr this combo amp.

I love all of the features and performance or this amp; that is, everything except the weight. It will take two people to move it up and down stairs, and is something to move even with casters. I would hunt down and kill the person Who would try to steal this amp from me. But I'll say this, if he/she or they can pack this bad boy away, they some bad jokers themselves. I compared this amp to other combo amps, and found it to be superior to all other combo amps that I tried; including Fender, Yorkville, gallen-kruger, Crate, Ampeg, aguilar, and Kustom. None of them had the same kind of power and all distorted at high volumes, whereas, this combo amp did not distort. None could outperform this amp. I don't think it will break if it hasn't broken by now, unless I take a hammer or a tire Tool to it; if stolen however, I wouldn't buy another because of the size and weight. I would probably spend the extra money and go with a smaller, lighter but more powerful Genz Benz 6.0 head and 2X10 cab. That being said, I have yet to come across a combo amp to outperform this Peavey 115 combo amp.

I absolutely have found this amp to be reliable for the 5years that I've owned it. It has never failed me, never broken and I've given it more than it's fair share of abuse. I've got all kinds of scuffs, and the tolex is ripped in a couple of places, and marred all across the bottom from pulling it over uneven entrances. It's fallen over a couple of times, been closed onto tight places where I know the knobs were receiving abuse from car doors, seat backs and van lift gates; it has never had any problems with the controls. The thing is built like a tank and is VERY heavy and bulky. You could probably shoot it with a morter and still fail to blow it up. Weight and size however are the only drawbacks to this amp. I put casters on mine. Cost me about $8.00 from walmart to put casters in it. Now, if you can get past the size and weight issues, this would be a great amp for any working bassist.

I bought this amp in 2005 to play in a large church venue. It is a very versatile amp and can play any style of music; however I use it primarily for Contemporary Black Gospel. It has one channel switchable between active and passive; 9 band Graphic EQ; high and low Contour; Bright switch which comes in handy; 200 watts of power at 4ohms, and 300 watts at 2ohms with a a 4ohm extension cab. This amp will do absolutely whatever you need it to do; and you can get any sound out of it that you desire. That being said, I have to say that it comes without a tweeter, so I added a peizo tweeter to mine. It will give you earth shaking lows to highs that will hit the rafters. Therefore, if you are looking at one of these amps, and you need highs to slap and pop like I do, you will either have to buy an extension cab with a tweeter, or do like I did and add a tweeter. I have played many an amp and very few compare to this amp. You would have to spend a minium of $800 to $1, 400 to get something comparable to this Amp. It would have to be something in the high end range of anyone's line of base gear; or at least a half stack head and cab.