Mark VIII review by Peavey

Peavey: Mark VIII

Purchased from: Craigslist

I'm using this baby with an Ibby SRX690 and it suits my playing styles just fine. When I first got it, it was somewhat noisy because of all the dirty noise, but after buying a simple basic Furman power conditioner, it got rid of most of the noise. If you're looking for some distortion, this amp may not be for you, or at least it doesn't distort for me, when is a good thing considering I mostly go for clean tones. This amp does lows VERY well.

My overall impression of it, well, I'm really impressed. When I first plugged into it, I knew it was my amp. I love it to death. I just wish it wasn't so heavy (looking at about 55 pounds) and it's not rack mountable. If it were stolen, I'd be heartbroken, but I'd probably get something a bit more modern for the hell of it. This was the last of the Mark series, and probably the best one out of all of them. Rock solid amps from Peavey.

Dude, reliability? This thing will outlive your grandchildren's children. It's older than me, and it's in great shape. It'll survive a nuclear bomb if need be. After over 20 years of being played and gigged, this thing is in better shape than most of the used gear you see in a Sam Ash or GC. It's that damn good.

I believe this amp was made in the late 80's. I feel that this amp is pretty versatile and could do just about anything. I play anything from a smooth jazz to a prog or deathcore tone. This does it just fine, although sometimes I wish it had a bit more bite to it. It only has one channel and it doesn't have a headphone jack. Could be because of the age it has. I use this amp at home with a Peavey 215D and I used to use it with my band, and it was plenty loud. It's 350W @ 4ohms and 600W @ 2ohms. It's a big heavy solid state monster, but it sounds great. It has a built in compressor, chorus, and an electronic crossover. Pretty damn good for $100.

ProgFolk12
    That's hardly excessive wattage for a bass head, especially running at 2 ohms...I have an old 200 watt SS bass head and it's not all that loud.
    goodfellowwal
    I have used my Peavey V111 now for 20 years and compares to Trace Elliott anf Marshall heads I have owned. Running through a 4 x 10" Marshall cab. Wonderful warm tones as well as being very powerful & punchy. Axes put through it are Wal Custom fretless and Goddfellow Classic. Studio and live work. To upgrade this head to something modern equiv would cost in the region of 1500.00 easily. Fantastic.
    dafer1634
    hola amigo, poseo un equipo igual a este ,pero debido a que se presento un dao en un transistor , el equipo se encuentra fuera de servicio ,quiero solicitarle a quien pueda ayudarme a ubicar el plano electronico de este amplificador ,puesto que deido a su edad ,dicho equipo ya no figura en internet ,quiero ponerlo a funcionar ,ya que lleva algunos aos abandonado