MAX 112 review by Peavey

Peavey: MAX 112

Purchased from: PSS Music

I use a Fender Standard Fretless Jazz Bass, which has been reviewed previously. The tones that I can achieve are quite nice and deep, but I can never achieve the signature fretless "mwaaaah" tone. However, I feel that this is the bass, as the alder body has very little sustain. As I said before, there is very little variation on what sounds you can achieve, but the tones that are available are very pleasant. When the volume is right up, a small amount of natural distortion is produced, but to be heard above two guitarists and an insane drummer at rehearsals, I have only ever needed to put it up to around 7, where it keeps its tone well.

I play many styles of music and this amp can satisfy them all to a sufficent standard. But realistically, it is still only a practice amp and would get lost in the sound at a larger gig. To play at bigger venues, much more power is needed. For what it says on the tin, it is good and it satisfies my personal playing needs. To a more performance minded player, it is simply not big enough.

This amp has been very reliable over the 3 years last Christmas that I've had it. I have used it for 3 small concerts and it hasn't let me down yet. Paired with my solid Jazz Bass, its tone is improved by large halls, where I get a natural reverb effect. On the other hand, if I were to use it in a bigger venue, it would simply get lost in the mix.

This is a very versatile amp, exactly what I think of when I think of Peavey. Relatively cheap, solid and dependable. For a 35 watt practice amp, the volume can be raised to a very loud rumble, but this is down to the Transtube technology employed by most budget Peavey amps. It features two channels, modern and Vintage, though I never use the latter, as it is very nasal and brittle, though some may like this tone. I prefer a deep, fatter bass sound. It also employs a headphone socket (very useful in a practice amp for beginners with easily irratated family members). I have used this amp from bedroom jams (where it keeps up well when my brother is drumming) to small gigs, where it never seems to get lost in the mix. For my needs, it has plenty enough power, but I am thinking of upgrading as the range of tones is rather limited, only when you make extreme alterations is anything noticed in your tone. On the plus side however, it is a decent recording amp, as the one-size-fits-all tone can be used in many of the range of genres I play and the amp gives off hardly any fuzz.

madcowman19
    I just bought one today for $208 at Guitar Center. It's a solid amp. Nothing too fancy, just a good tone for improving.
    fretlessbass1
    This is one of the best sounding amps I have ever owned and I have yet to reproduce it's sound in a larger amp and I have had many and can afford any. I'm still looking for a large cab to go with my tube pre and Crown amp that will duplicated this amps sound. I play a Spector Fretless and there is mucho Mwah and growl with the amp.