MAX 115 review by Peavey

• Reviewer's score: 2.8 Junky
Peavey: MAX 115

I have used this amp with various basses, and I've wasted hours trying to tweak the settings to something bearable. Instead of the powerhouse tones I was promised, all I got was mush. At any volume above 3, the sound only gets muddier and mushier until there's no definition between notes what'soever. For this reason, I have to gig through DI. I didn't pay good money to put up with this.

I play hard rock in the likeness of Muse, InMe, Fightstar and the like, and I also play in a female-fronted punk band a-la Tsunami Bomb, Daisy Chainsaw, Bitch Alert etc. I only bought this because I needed an amp after I sold my beloved Ashdown Electric Blue 180, which I intend to replace. If this were stolen, I'd pity the Foo' who'd have to live with it, let alone lug the hefty bugger out of my house. I miss my Ashdown.

I've had this amp for a year and a half and it hasn't broke yet, despite a dodgy volume pot. Everything else is pretty solid, and it's survived many, many gigs, including a few festivals. The only good thing about this amp lies in it's reliability. It won't break, but what's the point when it sounds like a cold, wet fart?

The Peavey MAX 115 is the largest, heaviest and (supposedly) loudest of Peavey's MAX line. Despite its gargantuan size and the fact that it weighs more than Andre the Giant, it only boasts 75 watts of power. It also includes three different amp models- MAX, Modern and Vintage. However, they are better described as Mud, More Mud and Even More Mud. The controls don't do much to help it, either, and the mid frequency shift only brings out this amp's weaknesses. The sloshy mess of 'sound' is pushed through a 15 inch speaker.