MicroBass 20w review by Peavey

Peavey: MicroBass 20w

Purchased from: Manson's

When turned up to full volume it distorts pretty badly, managed to use it for band practice a few times (classic rock/blues/soul) but it realy didn't cut it when alongside drums. Coupled with my trusty Peavey millenium bass I've managed to experiment with sounds for as much as about half an hour at a time, at first, but essentially I found that I ended up just turning the Low to full and then tweaking the mid/high around the half way point. A bit of tone, but not great. Not bad for an education, and certainly better than no amp at all; except feeds back massively with my acoustic.

I got this at great value as I managed to get it as part of a deal along with my bass, a dvd, strap and tuner. A great starter amp, and I may well take it to uni with me as my main amp would take up far too much space. If it was lost or stolen (it won't break) I would probably opt for one of the new Vox mini preamps instead, as these are more portable, and that's the main plus for me. Since getting my Peavey TKO 115 I've realised the limitations of this little amp in terms of sonic quality. This is the sort of amp you see in peoples houses rather than second hand shops. Because they don't break, they're great value, and good fun.

The way it starts to distort has made me doubt it slightly, but when at home you hit neighbour-bothering volumes well before you reach this. Rock solid construction, metal mesh covering speaker means it could survive a school music department. Mine has even survived a coke spillage and some rain with no ramifications as far as I'm aware. Jack socket is starting to get a little bit loose, but hardly noticeable usually.

One input, gain/volume control along with low/mid/high control and a headphone output means you've got all the basics. Considering the limited features it's fairly versatile for bedroom-type practice. The headphone jack being a large rather than minijack means I haven't used it, but it's standard as amps go. For an amp of it's size and weight it's pretty powerful. You can carry it manually a couple miles without too much effort. Also the space at the back for winding the integrated power lead is surprisingly useful when it comes to portability.