MicroBass 20w Review

manufacturer: Peavey date: 12/24/2010 category: Bass Amplifiers
Peavey: MicroBass 20w
Small, easy to move around, looks great on the amp. Now its being used as an accustic guitar amp.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.5
 8.9
 8.8
 8.9
 10,929
reviews (2) 5 comments vote for this gear:
MicroBass 20w Reviewed by: 99brownd, on july 19, 2004

Purchased from: Bandland

Sound: I play a Yamaha RBX370 with a pj style pickup and active electronics, through this amp wich adds alot of power to it but handles it great and sounds great. This means it suits my music styles great to this amp. The amp is very noisy on all settingsconsidering it is only 20w, the amp can produce very deep and shallow sound and also the rest in between. The sound becomes slightly distorted on the highest of voulumes but still sounds good. Unfortunatly the amp does not contain any distortion controls. Don't get me wrong though the sound quality is excellent. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I could always depend on it for practice but would not be able to gig with it as it is too small and not powerful enough, if it were more powerful I would definatly depend on it without back up. The amp has never broken down yet and I'm doughtful it will. The durability of the control kmobs are poor made out of thin flimsy plastic, and would break with aggresion. // 8

Overall Impression: Thish is a great deal for a excellent quality amp and would recomend it to any style of bass player. If it were lost or stolen I would certainly purchase it again. I love the fact it has the equalization features to change fronm differnet music tones. I just wish it had a cd in input. The amp also has a very stylish look which fits great into heavy music themes. // 10

MicroBass 20w Reviewed by: Wobbish, on december 24, 2010

Purchased from: Manson's

Sound: When turned up to full volume it distorts pretty badly, managed to use it for band practice a few times (classic rock/blues/soul) but it realy didn't cut it when alongside drums. Coupled with my trusty Peavey millenium bass I've managed to experiment with sounds for as much as about half an hour at a time, at first, but essentially I found that I ended up just turning the Low to full and then tweaking the mid/high around the half way point. A bit of tone, but not great. Not bad for an education, and certainly better than no amp at all; except feeds back massively with my acoustic. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The way it starts to distort has made me doubt it slightly, but when at home you hit neighbour-bothering volumes well before you reach this. Rock solid construction, metal mesh covering speaker means it could survive a school music department. Mine has even survived a coke spillage and some rain with no ramifications as far as I'm aware. Jack socket is starting to get a little bit loose, but hardly noticeable usually. // 9

Overall Impression: I got this at great value as I managed to get it as part of a deal along with my bass, a dvd, strap and tuner. A great starter amp, and I may well take it to uni with me as my main amp would take up far too much space. If it was lost or stolen (it won't break) I would probably opt for one of the new Vox mini preamps instead, as these are more portable, and that's the main plus for me. Since getting my Peavey TKO 115 I've realised the limitations of this little amp in terms of sonic quality. This is the sort of amp you see in peoples houses rather than second hand shops. Because they don't break, they're great value, and good fun. // 8

Comments