TNT 115 review by Peavey

Peavey: TNT 115

Purchased from: A Sound Education

I use a Fender Standard Precision Bass and a 5-string Standard Jazz Bass on this thing. It handles the low B quite clearly with no muddiness to it. I generally play classic rock (Who, Eagles, Led Zeppelin), a bit of blues (Booker T and the MGs) and some old school metal (Black Sabbath, Dio, Iron Maiden) and it covers all of these genres well. The low mids and lows are very thick and punchy but the highs can get annoyingly piercing if you don't cut them. My personal settings are with the low mids boosted, lows and high mids hovering around the middle, and the highs cut to give a great thick sound that make your ears bleed when you hit the high notes. I've gotten a thrashy scooped mids sound out of it but that was no fun so I made the bad sounds go away. Overall it's a great classic rock and blues amp.

I've been playing for just over a year now and would have to say this is a very nice intermediate amp. Probably not something I would take to something larger than a bar, but definitely usable for smaller gigs. This thing was on sale for $400 last summer, so I had to pick it up. If this were lost/stolen/completely broken, I wouldn't get a new one; I'd look into getting a head and cabinet (preferably from Peavey since I like products that don't break). The nice thick vintagey tone that this amp gives is my favorite part about it. I only wish the speaker was better at handling the power this amp is capable of. Oh well, time to get it fixed.

I've just recently broken the input jack through some clumsy bumbling through my room but other than that this thing is a tank. It's had drinks spilled on it through the grill on top, been kicked, dropped, brutally assaulted by a roommate and it still kept on ticking. As long as you don't accidentally knee your cable in the jack, it should be fine. Gigging with no backup is not too smart but this amp could pull it off.

The other review basically sums up the features. I find the bright switch to be just about useless. Doesn't really make a difference in the tone. The contour is nice, kind of mellows out the tone and makes everything smoother almost like it's another channel. This thing has power to spare for bedroom use, however the ddt speaker protection kicks in with the master volume at around noon causing the sound to just die and go pfft. Could definitely use a new speaker that can actually handle what the amp is capable of. It's gig worthy with a new speaker. Using the graphic eq is very easy, and it's possible to shape any tone you want out of it with very little effort.

GidBass
    hmmm, i'm not a fan of this amp. I had to play it battling a Randal guitar amp (4x10, 200 watt) and it just couldn't cope. After a full hour of practice this thing started cooking my beer on top of it, me not happy then!
    MaggaraMarine
    We have the 130 version at our band house and I like its sound. I'm not a bassist (I don't own a bass guitar) but I play bass in a band. But its inputs may be a little broken because the sound sometimes fades out.