TNT 115 review by Peavey

Peavey: TNT 115

Purchased from: World Of Music (Erie PA)

I normally use a Peavey Millenium Active 5 string with it, sometimes I'll use a Yamaha BB400 which is a Fender P-Bass knock off. The B string on the Peavey just roars out of the amp. The overall sound of this amp is pretty "scooped". It sounds just beautiful using it in the store with out a band with you, but the mids aren't that strong. The graphic EQ really helps with boosting the mids a little so you won't get drowned out. This amp's lows are extremely powerful normally I have to go to about 3 0'clock or +12db on the lows or else the speaker will have trouble handling it. This amp is pretty loud, but it still doesn't sound near 600w, it sounds about 250w when maxed out. I use this mainly in my concert and marching band for school and it is often drowned out. I am hoping to get a Peavey headliner 2x10 add on cabinet to get some more sound out of it and to increase the mid range. I also never use the tweater because it adds too much high end gain and barely any sound difference is noticed.

Overall I really like this amp I am hoping to get a 2x10 add on cab like mentioned above. The tone is OK I would like to have more mid range control, but a great amp anyway. I would probably recommend this to somebody.

This thing will last you forever I swear. I have it attached to a cart because our marching band practices outside and I don't want to carry it outside by the handles every day. I have played outside in the rain with it nothing was noticed. We actually have two other bassists in the marching band and someone put the outlet in a puddle of water for some reason and the other two got shocked and I was the only one who could keep playing. It is pretty heavy, but manageable with one person. It is just very "cubular" would be the best word and is awkward to carry alone, two people it is really easy to move.

There are many different features on this amp. My favorite ones are probably the graphic EQ and the built in compression. I'll start with the EQ knobs the thing that bothered me about these was the fact that there was no mid or mid shift knob like my MAX 115. I believe this amp is mainly if you want to have a scooped mid sound. I like having a lot of high mid so this was tough to get this, but with a bit of tweaking I finally sound a really nice sound. Next the graphic EQ this is great because you could detail it a lot more than a simple mid knob and shift. It takes a lot of time of working with so you have to be patient with it. It also includes a Bright switch, a contour switch, and a crunch switch. The bright is great because it adds a really nice sound to the blend. The contour is for scooping which I mess with sometimes this makes it sound really clean and just great (Kind of like a Gallien Krueger). The crunch adds incredible tone to it, but it adds too much gain for my tastes if I could decrease this it would sound incredible. Also it has a built in compressor which is kind of subtle I like having the on/off switch plus the knob which dictates just how much compression. I play with the compression on around 8 so it is pretty noticeable.

MaggaraMarine
    Well, I think that's pretty much bass. I keep the bass knob at noon (or a bit lower) on the TNT130 that we have at our practice place because otherwise it will sound too muddy. But the room we are playing in (a bomb shelter) might have some effect on the sound, don't know.