Tour 115 review by Peavey

• Users' score: 10 (1 vote)
Peavey: Tour 115

Price paid: C$ 400

Purchased from: Mothers

I use this cabinet through either a Peavey Tour 400 head or an Eden Nemisis NA650 head and either a G&L L-2500 bass or a Fender Mark Hoppus P-bass to play in a functions band and a variety of punk/rock/metal bands. In general, the cabinet is totally devoid of any character whatsoever, essentially leaving your tone completely unaltered. This is really why I love this cabinet; I don't have to worry about the cabinet distorting at high volumes, making funny noises or accentuating the wrong frequencies. It simply reproduces the sound of my bass. That being said, the cabinet is definately sterile, especially with the tweeter engaged. It has a tendancy to sound a little bit harsh on the treble side of thigs, mostly because there is so little warmth on tap. As a result, I tend to run the cab with the tweeter off completely or on a low setting with a sock stuffed into it to dampen it a little. Otherwise, the cabinet sounds really good with most basses and head, as well as with other cabinets to make a stack (usually an Ampeg 4X10). Its super clean, loud and has a really clear sound, especially on the low notes, which I truly appreciate

Being a often-gigging musician, I really appreciate equipment that works correctly with consistency. As a result, I love this cabinet. It may have been ugly from the factory (Peavey, those silver stripes look dumb, stop hurting our eyes with them please!!!) and it may not be the best sounding cabinet on earth, but its about the most consistent cabinet I've ever used. It is well built to begin with and features a highly effective self-protection system, both of which I credit with this cab uncanny ability to survive abuse without any significant or performance altering issues. I doubt this will get stolen, as I have probably made it even uglier than it was (beat to hell neon Orange aint exactly pretty) but I would certainly get another and I would encourage any gigging bassist to look into one. Also, being on the light side, your back (and bandmates) will thank you!

From a functional standpoint, this cabinet is a complete tank! This cab has been the ONLY consistent part of my bass rig (as well as an occasional part of a friends!) for 2 years now, playing in well over 100 gigs and handling several very cold road-trips, and there has been absolutely no impact to the sound of the cab. The cab is still structurally as it was when I bought it, the speaker is perfect and the tweeter (for what little use it has had) is still going strong. I attribute this mostly to the overload protection circuit, as I certainly am not to blame for this cab holding up so well (I like things loud). Unfortunately, there is one small functional issue. The screws hoding the casters in place strip out rather easily and cause the casters to come loose. This is unfortunate because the casters are otherwise flawless. I fixed this by installing industrial casters that are bolted to a nut inside the cab rather than screwing into it. Beyond that, the tolex was rather stupidly applied at the factory, with the back of the cab being covered in a sheet that doesn't wrap around anything. Consequently, the tolex was gone within a couple months. I've since replaced it wiht properly installed neon Orange tolex. This isnt really a major issue, just somewhat of a letdown.

I purchased this 1X15" bass cabinet about 2 years ago in order to fill out the bottom end of my bass tone, especially when using a 5 string bass. The cabinet itself is made out of a relitively lightweight plywood, is wrapped in black tolex and features a bottom port to help accentuate bass tones. There are also 2 recessed side handles which make this 45-ish pound beast easier to carry. The whole thing rides on 4 casters. The speaker is Peavey's own neodymium 15" driver and it is augmented with a 1" horn tweeter. The speakers are protected by a solid metal grill (shock mounted) which is accentuated by a Peavey logo and the silver strip motif (for those of you who hear with your eyes, both are very easily removed!). Around back, one finds there are 2 1/4" inputs as well as a nutrik input, which is a very nice touch. Additionally, there is a knob allowing you to adjust (or turn off) the horn driver. The cabinet also features an automatically re-setting overload protection circuit, whereby the speaker is disconnected if pushed to hard then re-connected when driven at a more resonable level. The technical specifications are as follows: impedance is 8 ohms, RMS power handling is 400W with peak power handling being 800W, the effective range is 40Hz to 15kHz and the SPL is 98dB.