Tour 450 review by Peavey

Peavey: Tour 450

Price paid: C$ 350

Purchased from: Axe

I usually use this amp with a G&L L-2500 and an ashdowne 1x15 cab, though I've used it with an extremely wide variety of basses and cabs. I play in a professional wedding band, as well as stints filling in with other bands. This amp is certainly loud, rarely needing to be pushed beyond 5/10 for fairly large gigs. However, loud is all this amp really does particularily well. The overall tone of the amp is lacking, there is little warmth or nuance to be had with the tone. Despite the best efforts of the powerful eq section, it is extremely difficult to find good sounds, with the amp often sounding sterile and cold. That being said, the amp can create a huge range of sounds; by playing with the eq, it is possible to approximate nearly any sound that you want, just don't expect to have any nuance or character to the sound. Realistically though, given the price of the amp, the sound is not bad. Its loud, abrupt and unrefined making it well suited to punk and thrash metal. It also manages to remain clean at extremely high volumes and the limiter does a good job of keeping your speakers safe without constantly inturrupting. The subharmonic generator, though a really cool idea, is useless as it renders the tone too muddy to use, regardless of eq settings.

I haven't played bass all that long, maybe 4-5 years now, but all my experience has been in a professional capacity (gigging guitarist turned bassist after a last minute firing) and I have played in all sorts of bands. I play most genres of music, though I'm partial to high-energy rock and funk. This amp has been adequate for the majority of its tenure with me. It has rarely been stellar, but its always ensured that I can be heard and it has never embarassed me or stranded me with no sound. It also comes with some really good features for the money. That being said, it is getting replaced pretty quick as it simply does not have the refinement or nuance that I'm seeking. Though I will never buy one again, I will certainly recommend them to bassists looking to get their first "big", gig-worthy rig. Its loud, simple, reliable and easy to use making it perfect for burgeoning talents. Its just not up to the task of keeping pace with experienced bassists.

This is where the amp shines: in 1.5 years of playing and weekly gigging, the only damage the amp has to show for it is a broken bright/normal button, which refuses to be depressed. The simplicity of the amp certainly plays a role in this, leaving very little that can actually break. This is aided in large part by the fan (shared with its more powerful sibling the Tour 700) which manages to keep the amp cool through a 5 hour set. I routinely gig this amp without any backup whatsoever. Im thouroughly convinced that this amp simply cannot break down and, consequently, I feel little need to bring a backup rid. Furthermore, even if the amp breaks down completely, your sound will still make it to the mixer as the DI operates off phantom power even if the amp cuts out, ensuring you will always have sound.

This is the "little" amp in Peavey's tour line, boasting 450 watts of solid state power at 4 ohms. The amp features 1 channel, 2 inputs (normal and high gain), pre-gain, post-gain, a mid-contour knob, a subharmonic generator, a built in defeatable limiter, bright/normal button, low-cut button and an eq-bypass button. The eq section consists of shelving controls for bass and treble as well as a 7 band graphic eq featuring 15db of cut or boost per band. Out back, the amp has 2 nutric speakon jacks (both also accept a 1/4" speaker cable as well), a tuner out, effects loop, passive D.I., aux in and a detachable 6' power cable. The amp is cooled by a two-speed fan. Everything is housed in a 2 rackspace, all steel construction unit.