Cube-30 Bass review by Roland

Roland: Cube-30 Bass

I had to go out and buy this amp because my previous 15watt amp wasn't capable of handling the sound of my downtuned tanglewood five string with out over driving and turning to muddy sludge. This amp handles it pretty well, the onboard compressor helps aswell if the lows are too rumbly or the highs make you want to kill people then a touch of compression will sort it out, it's easy to go nuts with the thing and crank the compression up to ten so it sounds dull you just have to mess with it a bit untill it sounds right. As I said before the variety of tones that you can pull out of this thing are endless, if you get bored with the sound then one twist of a nob is all it takes to get something new and fresh sounding. One thing you need to watch with all the effects channels is because if you have them up too high it can make your playing sound all teched out and dubed, but then again some people like that.

I play metalcore and a kind of low key death metal with my band, so I need something that allows the clicks that happen between the strings and the top fret to ring out so it can be heard over the roar of guitars in drop Cb, I also like to slap alot so I need something that will give a good slap tone that resonates nicely under without the lows becoming to sludgy when they ring out and turn harmonic, normal conditions it's ok for that but a quick twist of the mid way nob in the downward direction sorted that out so that it was perfect for my needs. In my spare time I play funk, it's perfect in the top end frequencies, sometimes it seems a bit to choppy though on high end slaps so this is where the compressor does it's thing. I couldn't have possibly imagined getting this good a deal for 200 quid, I played this thing and thought it was birlliant and then I was told the price and I had to ask the guy again cause I thought I was mishearing him (maybe because of this things volume) if it were lost there would be no other option for me than another one of these.

I'd gig without a back up any day. In the course of a day it's been knocked over by mistake afew times and nothings loose so I guess it scores kind of high in that area. I can't realy imagine this thing breaking down, it just seems too solid to have any harm done to it.

This amp features: - 30 watts of power - 3 band eq - 7 amp models - Chorus - Flanger - T-wah - Delay - Reverb - Compressor - 7 amp models - Gain control - Output jack for recording or headphones - effects loop. As you can see this amp is pretty well equiped. I find it difficult to get the sound I want with this, and I don't mean that in a bad way, every chanel and nob seems to present hundreds of possible combinations and every one sounds great, it's so hard to decide. I use this amp at home and for practice, it's got enough power to have my ears hurting and have the neighbours complaining, but at practice it cuts through a 100watt guitar amp quite easily and isn't drowned out by the drums. If you max the thing out at full volume it's good for small to medium sized gigs.