Cube-30 Bass review by Roland

Roland: Cube-30 Bass

Purchased from: Music Matters Lisburn

I use this amp for practicing on my own and with mates with a cheapy Stagg bass with both P and J style pickups. Even with this bass it produces a good variety and quality of tone thanks to its different modes and equalizer. On it's own it produces all the sound quality I need, just fiddle with a few of the settings and you can make most sounds that you'd need. I can use it for all the styles I play (funk, rock, alternative) unless it requires distortion: as I mentioned before the lack of distortion modes means that you really need to use a pedal to get any sort decent tone. However when playing with friends and you have an acoustic drum kit and guitars playing at the same time the amp gets easily drowned out and you have to have to crank up the gain and volume up to hear it, leading to unwanted noise and feedback. This results in it being a lot harder to get the clean tones you want at high volume, I wouldn't say it would be suitable for anything more than a small gig.

Overall I must say I am very fond of this amp. My decision to get it was based purely on reviews from UG and from liking my Roland guitar amp so much and I don't really regret it. It doesn't matter to me so much that it loses quality at high volumes as we have two 160 watt speakers I can use if I really need some volume. I often use it for my electric guitar as well so I get a lot of use out of it and I'm glad it doesn't give me any problems. If I were to lose it, I would probably get the Cube-100 if I had the money. If not I would be happy enough to get this one again, it is good value for money and very easy to use. Great for practicing and learning.

I have had no technical problems with this amp in 8 months and I don't think I ever will, as I haven't had any problems with Roland amps before. The only flaw I could possibly point out is that the wooden casing (plastic coated) is made of very weak wood (a cheap grade of MDF or something). In one situation the amp fell on my bass guitar and the amp ended worse off, with a large chunk taken out of wood. I'm not sure it would stand up to a lot of punishment getting knocked about, but I consider this quite a minor flaw.

The Roland Cube-30 features a 30 watt solid state speaker, a 3 band equalizer, Recording/Headphone/External Speaker out, Auxiliary in and an Effects loop. The effects are Compression, Chorus/Flanger/T-Wah and Delay/Reverb. The Cube-30 has 7 amp models and a Shape button which emphasises the tone on each model allowing for large variations in the sound, and so large variations in the styles of music it can be used for. It can cover funk with warm, clear low and mid range sounds and anything to grunge with huge low end bass sound. This amp does not have any specific distortion settings, only having a gain knob which only allows limited distortion and doesn't offer much variety in tone. This is quite a let down as you need a pedal to really get the sound you want. The other effects are good enough, but maybe not having the variety you would get from a pedal.

FinlandOfFilth
    I have been wandering for quite long time now, that how can I get a "death metallish" sound out of it? Could you please help. Im playing an ESP/LTD TA-200 bass.
    Ricos
    Good amp but I don't understand why the record/headphone output defeats the speaker output. It should have a line out( like most amps) that can be connected to a mixer without defeating that great sound from the speaker. I might have to install it myself or just bypass the defeat switch on the output socket.