Micro Cube Bass RX Review

manufacturer: Roland date: 09/08/2015 category: Bass Amplifiers
Roland: Micro Cube Bass RX
The Micro Cube Bass RX is certainly not made for gigging, it's a nice practice amp for home and dressing room/tour bus use. It's a really nice gadget with plenty possibilities for hours and hours of practice fun.
 Ease of Use: 8
review (1) pictures (3) user comments vote for this gear:
Micro Cube Bass RX Reviewed by: Genadeloos_666, on september 08, 2015

Price paid: € 250

Purchased from: KeyMusic

Ease of Use: All the controls are situated topside of the Micro Cube Bass amp thus fiddling with the settings can be done easily. All controls speak for themselves and it's easy to find a setting to your liking. All Jack in- and outputs are situated at the back except for the (Bass)guitar input. I don't like this placement of the inputs and headphone/footswitch jacks because you allways have to turn your amp around in order to connect anything. The COSM amp modeling knob provides a good range of eight bass sounds varying from Super Flat to Flip Top Ampeg sound but this Roland can't match the sounds of the originals... still produces some satisfactory sound images. // 8

Sound: This is a fairly good practice amp with seemingly endless and easy to use possibilities for sounds and rhythms built-in.

Features: Amp Power Output 2.5 W + 2.5 W stereo through 4x 10cm (4 inch) speakers.
Connections: Input Jack (1/4"), Foot Switch Jack (1/4" TRS), Stereo Aux in Jack (Stereo miniature type), Mono Aux in Jack (1/4"), Rec Out/Headphones Jack (Stereo 1/4"), AC Adaptor Jack and a battery compartment (6x AA).
Tone controls: Bass, Middle, Treble, EFX (Chorus/Flanger/T-Wah) and
Delay/Reverb Knobs.
Amp modeling: OCTAVE BASS / SUPER FLAT / FLIP TOP / B MAN / BASS360 / SESSION / CONCERT 810 / MIC.
There's a Gain and Volume Knob for your bassguitar input and a separate Volume knob for the rhythm box section.
It even has a Compressor and a rudimentary Chromatic Tuner on board.

This amp sounds tolerable but the bass reproduction isn't that great, even though Roland says otherwise they can't make small speakers sound great for bass. For really (low volume) fat bass sounds you'll need bigger speakers which move more air. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The Micro Cube Bass RX is certainly not made for gigging, it's a nice practice amp for home and dressing room/tour bus use. The fact that it can be battery operated (6x AA) is a big plus. Like most Roland products it's built for eternity. I've bought this amp about 4 years ago (and used it quite a lot) and all the hardware is still shipshape, no problems at all. Sure it has some minor wear and tear on the outside but that's minimal. You'll have to throw it from a 10-storey building to do some real damage to it, and yet it probably will work fine after such a dive. I've seen some videos on the net where some dudes try to shut down and destroy a Roland combo and they had a hard time doing so... // 10

Overall Impression: I used this amp for practice, I play some pop but mostly older rock stuff and all kinds of blues and reggae. As stated above the bass reproduction isn't that good but it works. I bought this amp on-line so I didn't try it before the purchase, I wish had done that. Nowadays I primarily use this amp for it's rhythm box during practice sessions while playing my bass through another amp. And sometimes I connect the Micro Cube's Rec Out to the Aux in of another amp and use it as a sort of pedalboard for spacing out with the on board EFX section (normally I don't use any effects except for some moderate gain to create a little edge to my bass sound).

I wish this Micro Cube had an external speaker output so I could try it with another (bass)cab to hear what it really can do on it's own. The foot switch is an option, it only controls the rhythm box on/off and speed. I don't think it adds some ease of use since all controls are conveniently placed and you can't control the EFX with it. Because I'm a gearhead I will not sell this amp, it's a really nice gadget with plenty possibilities for hours and hours of practice fun but I wouldn't replace it if it was stolen or lost.

Note: The speakers shut down when you connect the Rec Out / Headphone jack, good for silent practice but bad for recording in my opinion. I like to use my amp (combo in this case) as a monitor while recording, so that's a point deducted from my point of view. // 7

Comments