7215 review by Trace Elliot

Trace Elliot: 7215

Ok so here it get's interesting, I run guitar effects on my bass guitars (MM pup'd 5 string and P pup'd 4 string fretless) but with a PA head so I can send both a clean and dirty signal through the amp. I also use an upright with a bug p'up. All of these sound amazing through this amp, it has more bottom then any obese person I've met. However the EQ flat with Pre-Shape off the mids are way to prominent(for me at least) and being a 1x15 it's never gonna get those crystal clear highs that's I'd like. This is where the EQ comes in, dead bang in the middle is one of the most important frequencies for the bass, 500hz, or the woof frequency. This guy even with the preshape on has to go down and when it does my god does it sound good. Boost the highs a little and you have a near perfect slap tone. This amp can do practically anything because of this EQ however I prefer to leave it in the mid scoop area as I need my amps tone to work for 3 different basses in one show across a range of genres. All I want to do is put a 2x10 on top to make the highs Shine a bit more and she'll be perfect.

Coming from my Warwick Sweet 15 this thing is massive in every sense of the word except the physical size which is identical. Having been playing 4 years I've used a wide variety of half stacks, combo's and full stacks, from Ampeg to Hartke I've tried them all and this beast is better then most and holds it's own against the rest. The versatility is the best thing about this amp because you can dial in a tone that's good for everything because of that well voiced EQ. However I'm gonna be paying for that with my back. If it were lost/stolen I'd most probably buy a different amp, only cause these things are so rare and then find out Who took it and drop it on his/her head.

Trace-Elliot gear has a reputation for being built like a tank and this one is no exception. It weighs about 35kg and is extremely well put together. The only concern with it at the moment is the XLR out for the DI has a wire loose which in terms of how everything is built is the weakest part of the whole amp. It's pretty much tour proof.

So this amp is from around the mid nineties going on what I've been told. It's a solid state 300watt (w/ Ext. Cab) 1x15 ported combo. This is a serious gigging amp which has a very nicely voiced 7 band EQ, Pre shape Switch (mid scoop), Compressor and DI out which can be set before or after the preamp. About the only thing this amp doesn't have is a horn which might help the highs a bit but we'll get to that soon. All in all features though simple are executed brilliantly.

Filip413
    sick man, I've never had any first hand experience with TE gear, Ive always wanted to experiment with a TE cabinet and a GK head, but finances have never allowed for it lol.