TBM25 review by Traynor

Traynor: TBM25

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

I have an Epiphone G-400 with humbucking pick-ups. It sounds a lot better through this amp than some of my friends' amps of the same size. I think it's a good amp to play a guitar through if you want that extra bass. With the UberMetal plugged in with the pedal volume on full, the amp starts to sound like shit around 6 volume. Mind you, that's plenty loud for practice in my room (volume usually on 1) or at a gig in a school gym, 4-5 would be loud enough. The amp also sounds really good on clean channel.

I think this amp is good for $115 and for a practice/ small gig amp. It doesn't have any built-in features, other than bass boost, so for metal you obviously need a pedal or two. If this amp got stolen, I'd probably go looking to spend a bit more money next time, maybe on a Line-6 Spider around 40 Watts. Since this is a bass amp, I didn't expect for any built-in effects but pedals work great on it.

I would use this amp for smalls gigs, nothing too big. It sounds pretty loud and would work fine for that size. Nothing in the amp has ever broken and I'm pretty sure nothing is going to. This amp has a solid cover for the sides and the back is open. Unless you go and kick the back or something, this isn't going to break.

This is a very basic amp. It has a volume knob, bass boost button, and knobs for low, middle and high. I actually play a 6-string electric guitar (not bass) through this and I like the extra bass. I play mainly metal and since this amp has no built-in distortion, I use a Line-6 UberMetal. I really like how it sounds through this amp compared to my Traynor Guitar Mate 15. I can't really wish this amp had anything more for the low price and the fact it's a practice/small gig amp.

allskillage
    It would have to be really small gig to be used for such at only 25w. I know my 30w randall can barely be heard over drums at full volume