Sweet 152 review by Warwick

Warwick: Sweet 152

I currently play through it with a Rickenbacker 4003, fingerstyle with full tone. I have played a variety of basses through it, but I tend to come back to the ricky for obvious reasons. I play mostly in a hard rock setting and it handles an aggressive, twangy tone very well. I can also get very smooth, rounded tones even on my Rickenbacker. There is no compression, which might annoy some and no distortion out of the box, however if you have enough money to buy this amp, you can probably afford a Drive pedal.

A good, powerful amp which is excellent value for money. I'd recommend it for any bassist looking for a mid range amp to compete with drums and perhaps do small gigs. It should suit most styles and is constructed pretty flawlessly. If it got lost I wouldn't buy another one, I'd get a slightly more powerful amp, but it would almost definitely be a Warwick.

It's built in germany, which pretty much says it all. There are no visible imperfections what'soever on this amp. The sound quality is pretty flawless even at high volumes. Still, if you turn the volume and gain full you can overload the speaker, which makes a pretty nasty sound, but I'd assume that the amp was designed this way to allow you to give you more tonal options between the gain and volume.

Sweet 15.2 150W 1x15 Bass Combo Amp Features: 150 Watts power. 15-inch speaker. HF Horn which can be switched off. 8-band graphic EQ. Controls for gain and master volume. Clip LED to help set optimum input level. Switches for low boost, high boost and mute. Line Out. Headphone Out. FX Loop. Bass Reflex Housing. Collapsible rear foot for tilt-back operation. A relatively new amp, probably made in 2008. Because of the 15" speaker I expected this amp to lack definition, however I've so far really liked the sounds you can get out of it. The graphic EQ, added to the high and low boost switches gives you a surprisingly high amount of tonal variation. Although it is near impossible to get a truly trebley, bright sound, the amp has a lot of definition, especially in the high mids. Muddy tone is never a problem, if you want it, you can dial it in, but the HF horn ensures that it never becomes annoying. There are controls for both gain and volume, however there is very little sound difference between high gain/low volume and high volume/low gain. It is also impossible to make any distortion with the gain, which is fair enough considering it's a bass amp. The tilt stand is also quite flimsy looking and although I have not any bad experience with it, I would probably recommend keeping it flat on the ground. Despite my expectations, the 150Watts is quite loud and I can generally hear myself even over 2 guitarists and a drum kit. The 15 inch speaker creates a great, floor shaking boom that slides effortlessly under the band and with boosted mids, you can usually cut through the mix.