Bad Dog 30 review by Washburn

Washburn: Bad Dog 30

Price paid: C$ 189

Purchased from: Absolute Music

When I first got this amp I was using my Peavey Milestone IV with it and EMG passive split piece pick-ups. It sounds really good in my opinion. Since it is ment as a players level amp it's very versatile, it isn't better suited for one genre over the other from what I've experienced while using this amp, like I said I play almost ever genre of music. It isn't too noisy, you don't realise it unless it's dead silent. The sound this amp puts out is your basic clean bass, nothing special about it. It doesn't have any distortion either.

I play almost every type of music and it works well with them all, jsut a bit of tweeking the EQ knobs and its set. I've been playing for a couple years and its great. I also own a Peavey TNT 150 watt amp and I've been "permanently lent" a 1968 Gibson SB 4 string bass. I can't really think of anything else I should have asked, its just an all around good little amp. If it got stolen I would deffinately try to get another Washburn amp around this size, but I don't know if the store I got it at still has these amps. I compared it with a few other small bass amps, I don't remember which ones though, I cant remember almost 4 years ago exactly what models I compared it with.

From my experience, this amp is really reliable, I've played a couple small bars with it (and I mean small as in the size of a fair sized master bedroom sorta size) and it filled the room really well, and I gigged with it without a backup. I've never had a single problem with this amp at all.

This little amp was made back in 2006. It has a really nice tone for a relatively (sp? ) cheap an small amp, nice bass and and the highs sound clear too. I play everything from Metal, punk, rock, blues, jazz anything I feel like learning basically, and this amp sounds good with all those genres, you just have to set the EQ a little bit different and it will belt out what you're looking for. It has a passive and an active channel, but no Switch, you have to unplug the chord to change it. Yes it has a headphone jack, but I don't like to use it. There isn't any effects I wish this amp had on it really, I just like plain ol' clean bass. I use this amp in my bedroom when my Mom is home or when my brother is sleeping. I also use it as a practice amp to bring to friends houses to jam, it works really well for that, this amp may be a little one, but it packs A lot of punch for it's size.

McShredder
    Nice review, i have the same amp for noodling on the bass. The highs do sound great, i love trebbly slap bass and it sounds awesome!! Good amp CBA writing a review myself, but this review is good, AND reliable.
    danny_plantain
    ~Shred Hero~
    Maybe most people around here are looking for a good practice amp?
    Lasyk
    McShredder
    Lasyk wrote: danny_plantain wrote: does anybody around here own anything bigger than a 100 watt bass combo? whatever happened to giganta-frickin-saurus stacks that could knock down buildings and souls? every review on here is a shitty little combo, buy some real amps people!!!! but it does sound like a nice little practice amp. I also say I have a Peavey TNT 150 watt bass amp...clearly thats bigger than a 100 watt...
    Idiots like said User, evidently don't bother to read these kind of things, nor do they bother to think before posting.
    chilejim
    WARNING The old model BD-30 with the 10" speaker is no longer made and the "new" BD-30 has a flimsy 8" speaker!!!! The new version of the BD-30 is almost identical to the Randall RG30 and both of them now sport... 8" speakers, and are rated at 20W and have the back closed off. The new BD-30 just don't sound as good as the old one IMHO. Big bummer and if you go to Washburn's WWW site you will see they don't seem to have any support for it either. This is a real pity because the metal-grill Washburn 30 Bass amp, and similar looking the 25w Guitar amp, were really solid (I have the guitar amp and you can run over it with a truck). Now they closed off the back so you can't see how puny the speaker is. Believe me, its puny and so is the sound. I was going to buy the new BD-30 until I checked the sheets with it and found out it has a 8" speaker. Some WWW sites still have it as 10" - and are wrong! I ended up coming across a used SW100 in good shape so now I can mess up my whole neighborhood and scare the cats. If you can find the old style BD-30 in good shape, grab onto it - otherwise buy an Ibanez SW20 or a small Hartke if you can swing it!