YB15 review by Yamaha

Yamaha: YB15

Price paid: € 350

I run this through an old Aria p-bass and generally play zeppelin, deep purple, green day, etc. Through this amp and I do get a pleasant sounding tone out of it but it does tend to get a bit of hum when placed near to power sources. After the sixth volume notch this thing starts distorting badly but, either way, why would you wish to go that far with a bedroom practise amp? You can't exactly get a good variety of tones with this since that the EQ knobs won't do much difference, they'll just give a bit more of "air" to it.

It's great for my home needs and I have played through Marshalls, Fenders, Markbasses and Oranges. To my ears it falls near to the new line of Fender Rumble 15 and Orange Crush 25 and beats the Marshall and Markbass. However, it simply doesn't give you the tonal range of all of them- you have one tone and you either love or hate it.

As you can Imagine this is not my gigging amp but it's reliable - I've had it for over 6 years and still running without ever encountering any problems.

This is a fairly cheap bass combo that does what it's supposed to: it's only good for low level jamming with your guitarist friends but once you play in a full band you might want to search for something else, in other words, playing in concerts with this thing is absolutely out of question. I'm not sure about the year this was made in but it was made in China and came in a bass pack. It has 15 Watts rpm going through an 8" speaker.