Fuzzistor Review

8.8
review (1) user comments vote for this gear:
Fuzzistor Reviewed by: Hungry_Hameds, on march 10, 2016

Purchased from: GAK

Ease of Use: The controls are self explanatory, although you'll need to have an idea on whether you want one sound only or a few. There's no issue in getting what you need, just make a note of all your settings to not lose any forever. I've printed off a load of sample settings that I'll mark off the settings on, as there could be one or two per song. The manual says there are demo settings online but I've found none, which is a little poor, but if you're spending this kind of money you really should know what to do with a pedal like this. Find out what works for you and keep track of what makes you sound like Krist Novoselic or Ben Shepherd... // 7

Sound: My band plays hard rock/grunge and the Aguilar Fuzzistor is a godsend. We are a power trio so I have to fill out the live sound with my bass and we sound huge thanks in part to this orange dude. The Fuzzistor gives everything from a hint of Geezer Butler's old school loose fuzz to an all out wall of noise that the Prodigy would get high on. I play through an Ampeg SVT-2 Pro Head and Ampeg SVT-810E 8x10" cab and it sounds absolutely massive. There are 4 controls: Blend, Level, Tone and Fuzz. Pretty self explanatory but the versatility afforded you by the blend means you can go from a tiny bit of warmth under your clean sound to a cloud so thick you could serve it as candy floss. Take the time to get used to the variety and be able to make subtle adjustments, and make a note of the settings you like, as you'll keep finding more. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is a beast. All metal casing, and I could operate it with a sledgehammer and get years of use from it. Not a single issue in 6 months of solid gigging and rehearsing twice a week. I fully expect to have this in my rig for as long as I play, and reckon years down the line it will look and sound like new. I'd use other pedals alongside this to try and keep things simple live, but can't foresee needing a backup or replacement. I'd be more likely to get a second one to have 2 settings ready to go! // 10

Overall Impression: This pedal is great for grunge because you can get a mean sound without that metallic harsh overdrive that makes you sound like Muse and loses all your low end. This is the best bass pedal I've ever played, it's been designed and developed with bass and groove in mind rather than just noise. The best thing for me is the blend and fuzz controls, allowing you to create hell in a plethora of different ways. You can dial in heavy fuzz but back it off, or dial in a slight dirt and fill the room out and everything in between. I've sold a DigiTech Bass Driver as it's not in the same league, and I played this off against an MXR Fuzz in the store and there was no contest. // 9

Comments