Drive Plus review by Ashdown

Ashdown: Drive Plus

Purchased from: Gear4Music

I was playing with a Peavey Cirrus 4 String through an Ashdown Electric Blue 180. The sound is pretty good, when the amp is turned up to around three quarters volume there is a slight hiss, but only whilst pedal is active (not such a problem with a distortion pedal!).

I mainly use this pedal for rock, metal and Indie rock, and it works well for all types. I also sometimes use it for soloing in other styles, and it works well to add another dimension to my sound. I bought this because I have a great amp made by Ashdown, and I thought they would probably make other good products. I would reccomend this pedal to anybody looking for a decent, fairly cheap distortion/Drive pedal. My only criticism is that while it looks great, it is quite large and takes up a lot of room on a pedal board or gig bag.

The only problem I have experienced is when the battery power gets low, which doesn't happen anymore now that I run it off a Diago Powerstation. When the battery was low it occasionaly cut out when I tried to turn it on. Now I just make sure I stamp on it hard enough and I haven't had that problem since. I regularly use it without a backup.

Very easy to get a good sound out of. I didn't even need to read the manual, just played around for thirty seconds and got a great sound. The manual explains everything else you might need to know. It is very easy to change between thick, intense distortion and a light buzz.