James LoMenzo HyperDrive review by Ashdown

Ashdown: James LoMenzo HyperDrive

Purchased from: Pro Music Technology

The only setup I've tried it on yet is on my Boss pedal board with a Boss Synthesizer pedal and my five string Wesley Bass and the whole combo works brilliantly, the pedal only really gives one (editable) type of distortion which is very powerful and really rounds off a good bass line. It's especially good for doing Duff Mckagan bass lines and artists like that who really pound on the bass and keep a line going without pauses. This is a very simple pedal and is really only an add on to your amplifier so if you want to try and experiment with new sounds this is probably not for you but if you're in the market for a good distortion pedal then I would definitely advise getting your hands on this one (especially if your a Megadeath fan). One major problem I will add is the feedback which can be very high pitched and makes you want to smash a chair through your amp to make it stop (you'd probably be better off just moving though) other than that it just seems to buzz a lot.

I play general rock music with a taste for funk so a good bit of distortion goes along way and this unit is perfect for achieving that kind of sound. I'm unsure whether the pedal would work with direct recording because some single effects pedals don't which is something I probably should have asked before buying it. It would be nice if the pedal had a bit more of a variety of sounds rather than one type of distortion which can wear thin when over played. If this pedal were stolen I would probably get another or else look at one of Ashdowns other effect pedals as I believe they do another distortion pedal there which may be worth a test. Overall I think this is an excellent pedal and one I would advice getting especially for Ashdown users as this will work a treat at bringing up and improving your overall sound.

I haven't had the pedal long enough to properly test durabilty but it is set in a hard metal case and doesn't seem succeedable to water damage or any other kind of physical damage that may occur if your'e playing at an outdoor or small venue. I would definitely bring it to a gig without backup fof those reasons because this pedal is more likely to break you than you are to break it.

In all honesty, the James LoMenzo HyperDrive Pedal could be summed up in one word, unfortunately I can't spell that word so I'll just write a review instead. This pedal was designed on the specifications of Megadeath bassist James LoMenzo so this pedal is pretty hard core and an excellent distortion unit for bassists Who like it rough (sound wise of course). It's very easy to use with simple editing knobs such as: Input and output volume controls, drive (plus a ten plus drive switch), mix and frequency (the only real effect you can edit with a switch provided next to the rotary knob editing this gets some cool sounds). There is a very simple manual with this that simply shows all of the Ashdown pedal range (I think there are six in total) with instructions and explanations for all of them.

Beebaboo
    If I ever put down my guitar and start playing bass again, no doubt I'd get this pedal. Your review does nothing but reinforce that. BTW, it's "Megadeth", not "Megadeath"