James LoMenzo HyperDrive review by Ashdown

Ashdown: James LoMenzo HyperDrive

Purchased from: www.Dolphinmusic.co.uk

I have used the pedal both with a Yamaha RBX 270 through a Peavy Microbass and with a EBMM Stringray 5 through a Wawrick Profet 3.2 and a 1x15 Ashdown cab. In both cases the distortion sound is great. The possible range of tones goes from a warming bluesy overdrive to a full balls out thrash tone. The beauty of the pedal is that it only distorts the mid tones which are fully adjustable using the frequency control. So you lose no bottom or top end. With proper EQing the pedal can provide a perfect Cliff Burton tone as seen on Pulling Teeth all the way to awesome Chris Wolstenholme fuzz sound as heard on Hysteria, and pretty much any distortion in between if you can EQ your amp properly.

I play a mix of music including blues, rock, alt rock, a lot of kinds of metal, funk and more, and this pedal has a tone for all of them. I have only been playing bass for two years, but I have grown up around guitars and effects all my life. If this pedal was stolen I would find the guy Who stole it, plug it in to a massive speaker stack and use it to melt his face, or I could just replace it, as the price is so reasonable. I love the range of sounds you can get from this pedal, mixed with amp EQing pretty much any sound is possible. One thing is that I wish it came with a manual to begin with, so I didn't have to go online and print it off. However this pedal is a must for anyone looking for a bass distortion, there is no competition as far as I am concerned.

As with most Ashdown products, this thing is built like a tank and is unlikely to ever fail on you, I would easily gig without a backup, but it may be worth pick up more than one at the price.

When I first received my new pedal, it was a slight struggle to work out what I could use to make a good sound. I mean I didn't know that the Q switch changes the octave of the sound. But after I downloaded some pre-sets of the internet, it became much easier to work out what I could do with it. To begin with I would give the pedal a 5 in ease of use, but after reading the manual and looking at the pre-sets (both available online) I would give it an 8, so I'll go half(ish) and give it a 7.

the_underling
    There's a good video of this pedal on www.bassplayer.tv under James Lomenzo. Its worth a look even if you're not a Megadeth fan for both the pedal and his techniques.