V-Tone Bass BDI21 review by Behringer

Behringer: V-Tone Bass BDI21

Price paid: € 36

Purchased from: Music Town (Germany)

I use this with a Yamaha BB414 or an Ibanez SRX300 straight into the P.A., and with a minimum of tweaking to adjust for the different instruments, get a good, fat sound. I've managed to get everything from clean-neutral to cranked-up full blast distortion. To each his own. Presence and Blend controls produce hissing if turned all the way up.

Pedal includes all the standard extras such as bypass, ground lift and an extra output jack. What bothers me most about this pedal is the lack of white reference points on the dials. One has to look really close (easy to do with a strobe going off, fog all over the place and people jumping around) to see the settings. Would I buy it again? Oh yeah, definitely! As far as price/value goes, it's hard to beat. With this pedal I can keep my set-up simple, but still get a good sound. It can't replace a rack of high-quality Boss pedals, but then it wasn't meant to.

The on/off button is plastic, so it's a good thing I don't Switch much during a gig. Connectors and dials are plastic as well, but show no sign of loosening. As far as gigging without a spare, if you have doubts buy another one. They're inexpensive.

I'm lazy, and I hate fighting with dozens of cables that in the end look like someone puked a plate of spaghetti next to my mic-stand. I plug directly into this pedal and from there into the mix (purists cry, LOL). In less than 5 minutes, I'm set up and ready to play. Authentic tube emulation circuitry can be mixed with the direct bass signal via blend control. Use presence control for definition and upper harmonics or rely on an ultra-musical 2-band EQ specifically tuned for bass guitars. I love to get set up quickly, go get a beer and watch my guitarist set up his equipment.

tc94
    u say that but its easily another 150 before your getting to another product that does the same as this.
    sunburst_socal
    My main amp has a tube preamp but is in the shop and I bought this to add some "tube" tone. It does exactly what it claims to do and I am getting a solid SVT sound out of my solid state backup amp. I play classic rock so I am not looking for extreme sounds but this unit ads the tone I'm looking for and you can't beat the price.
    intention_craft
    behringer products arent even worth the small amount of money they steal from you just save some more pennies and buy some better brands, you will have to in the long run anyway