V-Tone Bass BDI21 review by Behringer

Behringer: V-Tone Bass BDI21

Price paid: C$ 30

Purchased from: Long and Mquade

I'm using with a Traynor 10 watt Bass Mate amp, and either a Squier Bronco Bass, or a Godin Freeway 4. It can be noisy or quiet, depending on which combination of knobs you use. You pretty much just have to know what combo of drive, treble, bass, level, presence, and blend you use. Overall, it's a very simple to use and great sounding.

I play alternative and other styles of rock. It's a great match. You can get great distortion sounds for metal, and great clean sounds for jazz! If it were stolen, I would buy another one. Although it might break in a couple years, for 30 bucks, it's awesome. I love the fact that all it has is a drive, treble, bass, level, presence, blend knobs, and an on/off stomp switch. That way, you totally make your own effects! It's awesome!

I'd say Reliability is it's weakest suit. The 2 ways to power it are either to use a 9-volt battery, or a 9-volt adapter. It dosn't come with an adapter. I've only had it about 5 or 6 months, (and haven't used it much until the past month), and the 9-volt battery jack dosn't work. Have to use an adapter. I guy on a youtube review said the adapter jack didn't work on his so he had to use a battery...

This pedal is REALLY simple: no pre-arranged effects, just a bunch of knobs. It's really easy to get a great sound out of this thing. It made my $130 Bronco Bass sound more like a $900 bass. It's pretty good in that respect, but I wish it had pre-arranged effects.

SteveDallman
    This pedal is a knockoff of a Sansamp BDDI. In many comparisons it matches or exceeds the performance of the Sansamp. The only feature it doesn't have that the Sansamp does is the ability to use phantom power to power it. I've had this pedal since it came out. Despite years of throwing it into a cord box after a gig, it performs like new. I also have a couple of the acoustic guitar versions, which are excellent. I used this pedal to improve the cold bass character of my GK1001RB. It did the job well, imparting an Ampeg-like tone to the GK. I now have an Ampeg amp, so now this pedal will become a distortion pedal. I used this pedal as a DI to the PA and it exeeded the tone of the GK DI. Despite the plastic, these hold up well. I use one gigging, and at church I use a programmable, three channel Sansamp. They sound and operate the same, other than the phantom powering. A friend is a soundman in Nashville. They have Behringer and Sansamp pedals at their church, and at Opryland, where he worked for years. They use them interchangeably and report excellent results with either. There is an inherent mid cut in this pedal, especially as the blend is turned up, but that is part of it's characteristic tone, and it's true of the Sansamp BDDI as well.This pedal costs $30 and the Sansamp is $200.
    JustPhil
    I'm quite happy with this pedal but I've noticed that with some of settings it's pretty much all or nothing, fine tweaking doesn't really seem to achieve much. The presence is the worst for it, all the way up it brings out the top end beautifully, anywhere up to 3 quarters doesn't make much difference. Still very much worth buying though.
    christianonbass
    Thank you everybody for your thoughtful comments. I have the opportunity to buy one of these for a few bucks. I am looking for just a little tweak in my sound...and this might be it!