CEB-3 Bass Chorus review by Boss

Boss: CEB-3 Bass Chorus

Purchased from: Speed Music, Cardiff

Now, as with any effect unit, you can end up with a sound, and I quote my guitarist, "which sounds like Satan". but on the other hand by utilising the Low Filter knob, you can get ri of the muddy sound, and you can totally customise the sound using the rate and depth knobs. You can also turn down the whole effect obviosly, using the E.Level knob, which makes all the difference between the full-blown chorus and the really subtle detuning.

Now in my band we play a mixture between ska and reggae, so it sounds awesome for those reggae bass lines. Also, I have a Danelectro guitar octave peddle, and when you mix these two effects, you can produce a really nice sound for mellow bass solos. My only real problem with the psysical design of the unit is that it doesnt have a protective sheild over the knobs, like the Ibanez and danelectro peddles have, as you can occasionally change your settings when switching the unit. But overall, I would recommend the unit to anyone wanting to add a new dimension to their playing, just make sure not to drop it witht he lead in!!!

This is where my only problem with the unit is. My unit stopped working after about a month, now, this may be my fault, I dropped it when packing it away, the patch lead was still in which linked it to my DS-1 peddle, and it landed on this, and it hasnt worked since. And as the unit isn't self-servicable (which is probably a good thing, becasue like most musicians I try and fix things, and have no idea what I'm doing) I have to wait to get it proffesionally fixed. But freak accidents asside, you can stomp on it hard with no effect, it's rugid and solid design make it hard to physically break, so overall, like all Boss pedals, it's good.

I first heard the bass chorus effect whilst noddling on my college's pa system, and they had bass chorus in the effects rack, and I was blown away. It's adds a new dimension to your playing, it makes it warm and well, for want of a better word, 'bubbly'. So, I looked into getting a peddle so I could get this great effect for my setup, and obviously, the first place I looked was Boss. And all I have to say is, look no further. It gives a really wide range of sounds from full stereo chorus, to the slightest hint of detuning. All this can be controlled by the unit's user friendly knobs on the top. All these are explained in the manual, along with a selection of suprisingly good sample settings.