CEB-3 Bass Chorus review by Boss

Boss: CEB-3 Bass Chorus

Purchased from: Pawnderosa of Little Rock, AR

The main rig I use this with is a Carvin SBR410 half stack with either a modded Squier MB-5 or an SX P-copy. It's not noisy at all. The effects are very subtle and usually require fairly high settings to be noticeable by a crowd. It's definitely a subtle pedal. It's also quite cold for the most part, which is not really something I look for in a chorus, but at the same time it's also very clear and defined compared to some others I've tried. It fills out the sound well, which is what I bought it for, so it's mission accomplished in my book.

I use this mostly in a christian rock band, and it fits in well. It does the job I bought it for, which is to add some depth to my sound. I've been playing for about four years, and in terms of effects I also have an Ibanez PD-7 and a Dano Tuna Melt. If this were stolen or lost, I would probably buy it again, because I'm on a budget and like this better than DigiTech's bass chorus. My favorite thing about it has to be that it's a true stereo chorus, which means it can produce some very cool tones and also act as a signal splitter. What I don't like is how far I have to turn the knobs to get it to be noticeable. I think maybe they used the wrong type of pots in it. I didn't compare it to others when I bought it... there weren't anymore in the pawn shop. If anything, I wish it would have an overall output level control so that it can be easily balanced.

It's a Boss, and is made with their typical steel casing and durable components. I expect it to last a while, and would probably gig it without a backup, though such a thing is generally not recommended when you're using batteries. The only thing I'd be worried about is the knobs. They're built quite solidly, but they're in a position to be broken off by someone Who's not careful.

It's a fairly simple to use pedal. The four knobs, E-level, Low Filter, Rate, and Depth, each have very distinct and defined functions, and are easy to manipulate. Dialing in the tonecan take a bit of time, but it's not hard. The effect isn't very strong on most settings own, so it takes a minute to figure out which knobs to crank up to get your tone.

Mutant Corn
    ^ It's interesting...not a bad sound at all but not really normal either. As far as the quality of this thing goes, I think the Analog models sound better than the digital ones, which may account for the differing experiences here.
    winterburn69
    Haha, I use mine with a Epiphone Thunderbird too. I've had mine since April, and I can get a really chorus-y sound out of it, it works well for some stuff, but I'd like something like Duff's sound on the Use Your Illusion albums, even though he used a Yamaha chorus. Haven't figured that one out yet. Other than that, mine is pretty good.
    noisewall11
    Skadettle wrote: Anyone know what happens if you play a guitar through a bass chorus?
    i use one of these with a guitar all the time. works just as well..
    ForProfeit
    I play it through a guitar, boosts the bass naturally and not as clear on the upper strings
    manneken_pis
    Hello everyone, i´ve been using this pedal for a year now, and i can tell you it produces a very beautiful sound, i just uploaded a video on youtube using it, come check it out and let me know what you think