ME-50B Bass Multi Effects Processor review by Boss

Boss: ME-50B Bass Multi Effects Processor

Purchased from: Dawsons Music

Personally I am using the "ole faithful" Fender Precision Bass through a HH 115 bass amp. The sounds are fantastic and I really enjoy experimenting with the defretter and bass boost (what self respecting bass player does not like boost). Other Effects include the usual distortion for heavier material and overdrive. Delay's are good fun but needs a bot of practice to stay in sync with the tune playing. Of course, the unit's time delay can be modified at the touch of a button. In the time I have been using this neat little kit, I have found the sound crisp and clean, even when switching through different sound banks and volume settings. As with all effects units, some sounds are impractical for the gigging bassist but most are fun and give you plenty of ideas to editing your own "unique" sound. To be honest, there is so much that can be done with this unit.

This week I have been mostly playing Rock. But I feel the unit is capable of modifying in to any musical style as there are so many settings to play with. I've stuck with my setup now for such a long time, but I welcome this little well priced unit with open arms and cold beers. I would definately get this unit again should it's bigger brother (ME-6B, fail to impress). I like the way I can select a soft Bass tone for a intro and swith instantaneously to a fuzzy distorted chorus! I just dislike the amount of time I sometimes spend trying to find that "sound." But that might just be me trying to be a perfectionist! Oh, and I love the defretter feature, and yes it does work to a fantastic level. Get down to your shop and give it a whirl, but have a go at it's bigger brother, the ME-6B.

Reliability and Durability, well it's a Boss, so I'd likely to say that it would survive a nuclear fallout! Only thing I would say is write down your sound settings to back up the memory should you accidentally erase it or something. With regard to gigging (and your not using the power pack) have some spare batteries next to your pint ready. But the unit will give you good warning before it dies. E.g. I was halfway through a gig and the display flashed "b" indicating power low, but the unit kept on going for another 30mins. So plenty of time!

Easy to use, well yeah I'd like to think so. And if not everything is made clear, the comprehensive manual that comes along with the unit will have you playing with various sound modifications in no time. The unit came with 6 x AA Batteries which said they where "for demonstration purposes only." They lasted a good few months of solid practice! Cheers Boss. The unit did not come supplied with a power unit, but they are available for about 10 or araound that. But I like to keep all the wires to a minumum. So I stick with batteries, which last ages in this system. The unit has the following I/O and jacks available: - Input (obviously for your Bass Guitar) - Output L & R (L being for Mono setups) - Phones (for when your parents just can't take any more Vibes) - Aux In (great for adding a backing track to play to from CD) - Foot Swith (for yet more bass effects at your toe tips) - Noise Suppressor (Variable on rear of unit) - Power Switch - And a DC in jack for the power unit with also a cable clip to prevent accidental unplugging whils playing. Use is simple, Three push buttons of which all can be assigned with user defined sounds. And a foot pedal to add wah/resonance/octave/sound hold/kick drum and even volume! This unit also comes with an on board tuner. Great stuff! The manual explains literally everything you need to know to get started with modulating your very own effects. Obviously the manual covers all manner of useful tips as expected in this day of age including care of unit, warranty info etc etc.

GidBass
    Mine came in yesterday, been playing with it al day long. absolutely awesome! it blends al the options of stomp box-pedals in one, not too complicated, device. cheers boss! i love this thing.
    SG-Burchett
    purplelemonbass wrote: I'm from england and the time here is 10:25 not 5:25
    ha ha lol-i know tis messed up for us this is an awesome fx pedal. i bought it for bass but also works well for guitar when trying to mimic muse effects when playing covers
    roundwoundsound
    roundwoundsound wrote: DFX11 wrote: can anyone tell me how much this thing costs...i want it but it looks insanly expensive. its about $150.
    scratch that,i just came from another review,and for some reason thought i was still on it,so i put $150,which would be how much the bass synth costs.this however costs $295
    roundwoundsound
    its about $150.
    DFX11
    fadh
    KasperBass
    thomdotcom wrote: jphdza7898 wrote: can you make a sound like the one in some muse songs with this thing? Like in time is running out or hysteria. If you buy a Sovtek big muff pi they can help get the sounds That or the american electro harmonix version (its basically the same, but bassists tend to go with the Sovtek...)
    Actually... The Big Muff is build in as an Distortioneffect
    thomdotcom
    jphdza7898
    HannibalX
    fadh wrote: You can get the adapter for the input jack of ur pc. use the normal output guitar cable, put in the adapter and plug in into ur pc input. you can use the mic input hole thingy. it works. i tried =) 8455157 wrote: any idea how im able to connect this to my PC so i can record what i play , i was split between the ZOOM B2.1U with USB Port and this Boss ME-50B . i chose th boss and have just about learned it after 2 months but now i need to record to my pc.
    It'll work but the recording's quality is going to suck, The acoustic to digital conversion happens with the internal sound card of the PC which isnt very powerful, The Zoom if it has an interface, it means it has conversions capabilities, The most you can do is buy an external sound card, which si like paying the amount of the processor itself, Thats a big minus of the ME50, the tones are insane though...