ME-50B Bass Multi Effects Processor review by Boss

Boss: ME-50B Bass Multi Effects Processor

Price paid: C$ 430

Purchased from: Kosmic - Osborne Park

I am using this pedal with my Behringer BX-450 450 watt bass amp, and my Sterling Ray-35 5-string bass, with active pups. The pedal is really good, because at the press of a button, i can bypass all the effects, and be going straight through my amp effects. There is practically no noise on any of the settings. I Love the distortion fx, it sounds awesome. Also, the defretter works really well. I find it hard to get a good synth sound, but it could be just me. I also like using the delay in a slapback effect.

The ME-50B is designed to replace a set of stompboxes, which was what I had in mind when I bought it. However if you are looking for amp modelling, go buy a Line-6 or something similar. I love it, but if it was stolen I would look at the other Boss models, the higher ones and probably the line-6 Boss range as well.

The ME-50B is built like a tank on wheels (its so versatile!). I would rely on it to the utmost. I use an external power supply ($5), so there's no chance of the batteries going. I dont think that I would need a backup, because it is so tough, it is really built like a brick.

The ME-50B is quite easy to use. After playing with the 50B's little sister, the Boss ME-20B, the 50's easy accessability, and abundance of knobs make it really easy to find "that" tone. Three foot switches, and about 20 knobs make it easy to change the tone in a flash. However, you cannot actually edit any patches that you set, or any of the preset patches. The unit switches between "Memory", where you can access saved patches, and 'Manual' mode. You can only change settings in manual mode, where you can save these settings to a patch. The manual shows how all the preset effects are achieved, in hard copy, which makes it easy to recreate them. Having said that - the preset patches are not all that good. The manual is clear and definitive, and easy to follow. The manual also provides a space to record settings, so if in the event of an unlikely crash of the pedal, all of the settings are still there.

Bryan2
    jphdza7898 wrote: can you make a sound like the one in some muse songs with this thing? Like in time is running out or hysteria.
    Im not sure i have the ME20B and i can get something very similar with that and the Me-50B is supposed to be better so i think the answer is yes.