ODB-3 Bass Overdrive review by Boss

Boss: ODB-3 Bass Overdrive

Purchased from: ebay

I use it with a crappy (yet singularly awesome) Stagg (that's right, Stagg) bass, through whatever amp someone else has at a gig (mine broke). It has true bypass, and can always produce a nice sound (unless you turn up the volume far too high). With very high gain, it almost makes fuzz, but not quite, it's a strange sound, which I really like anyway. It doesn't do full-on distortion well, but it's not supposed to (and nobody wants to head bass distortion). I couldn't imagine ever needing another overdrive pedal. I also use this as my primary guitar overdrive (I play guitar in another two bands) and it's even great for that. it's just that good.

I find this is a match for any style of music, it can handle any overdrive, even for guitar (although it is admittedly less good for that, I'm just too poor for a guitar overdrive pedal). If this were stolen or lost, I would probably just buy another of these, although I might look for another pedal, it would only be because I enjoy trying things out. This pedal is pretty much perfect for its function.

I'm quite certain that only Chuck Norris could destroy this pedal (and he wouldn't even want to). Like all Boss pedals, it's fantastically solid, with no easy to damage parts or weak construction. I would have no qualms about using this without a backup at a gig.

Mine didn't come with a manual, but if you need one then you wouldn't be able to read it anyway. It's very obvious what all of the controls do. Simply turn on this pedal, twist things around a bit and it will sound alright. It takes a bit more adjustment to get a nice sound, but it is incredibly easy.

CLIFF_BURTON
    I absolutely love this pedal. It can have mild overdrive for some kinds of jazz and can be cranked up to handle a really raw extreme metal sound.
    andrewcap
    i've had this pedal for awhile now and i'm starting to get bored of it, it really doesn't suit my playing eeds anymore. I'd rather just play my fender jaguar bass without effects
    Dante Morius
    I love guitar stuff from Boss, but this drive was a bit... dissapointing? If I had a chance to get it for free I wouldn't take it.